Reload this Page >

Need driving route fr. Dinan to Tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:24 PM
weeb

Have the Normandy section ironed out and what we want to do once we get to the Loire Valley area (3 nights there) but wondering if anyone can suggest the best way to get from Dinan to Tours and if there is anything worth stopping at in route. <BR>Merci (already practicing!)

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 01:26 PM
elvira

This is the site I use anytime we do a drive in France: <BR>http://www.mappy.com/direct/mappy/accueil

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 02:49 PM
StCirq

Weeb: <BR> <BR>The shortest route would be to take the N137 to Rennes, then the N157 to Le Mans, then the N138 to Tours. I haven't been to Rennes for years, and even then spent maybe an hour there, so I can't tell you if that would be a good stop or not. From there to Tours is not the prettiest drive in France. I think I would take a slightly longer route: N176 to Alençon, then the N138 straight south to Tours. Alençon is worth a stop, and if you should have any interest in lace, there is a lace museum there. It was the largest lace-making center in France in the 16th century, after Cathérine de Médicis brought her lace-making traditions with her from Italy. Only a handful of women carry on the tradition of the "point d'Alençon," and what a painstaking tradition it is! But even if lace holds no interest for you, Alençon makes a nice stop.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:54 PM
weeb

Thank you both for the info. Elvira, I've been using shellgeostar but mappy looks like a good one. St. Cirq thank you very much for the info on the lace in Alençon and that much else inbetween there isn't. Gives me the idea to plan on driving pretty much straight on to the Loire Valley which helps alot.

Old Aug 31st, 2001, 04:59 PM
Ann

Try this web site too for driving instructions in Europe (and much more): <BR>www.viamichelin.com.