Reload this Page >

Need day trip advice in Tuscany please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 04:02 PM
nancy

We will be staying:<BR><BR>5 nights in Florence <BR>2 nights at Locanda Dell'Amorosa in Sinalunga <BR>3 nights in Rome<BR><BR>The lodgings are "set in stone" , so keeping that in mind, what is the best way to fit in our Hill-town day trips? <BR><BR>Here's my thoughts:<BR><BR>Day trips while staying in Florence:<BR>1 day Siena via bus<BR>1 day ??? (plase fill in blank) by bus/train<BR><BR>Leave Florence w/ rental car in AM:<BR>Spend day in Volterra/San G, then a drive to Sinalunga in early evening<BR>Spend next day in Montalcino area<BR>Drive next day to Orvieto for the day, drop off car and train into Rome.<BR><BR>Any thoughts?

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 09:52 PM
Helen Donegan

ASSISI!!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 02:56 AM
Alice Twain

From Florence take the train and get to Lucca (if you want a really great city) or to Pistoia (for a quieter medieval and non touristy city). Arezzo is another nearby city with lots of things to see. Also, rent a car for one day and drive towards the Chianti area or the Mugello area, but close to Firenze and with beautyful drives and villages. If you chose the Mugello, have lunch at "Casa del prosciuttoo" in POnte di Vicchio.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:41 AM
Steve James

Hello Nancy,<BR><BR>Another vote for Assisi - one of my favourite places in Italy!<BR><BR>Or Cortona.<BR><BR>Steve

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:00 AM
Alice Twain

Assisi is a great place, but the request was for daytrips from FLORENCE and not from aay place in UMBRIA!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:03 AM
xxx

Nancy - I think your trip sounds great. I'd put San G at the end of your day (maybe have dinner there on your way to Sinalunga) because the tourists will be gone and you'll enjoy the city much more.<BR><BR>My only other thought is maybe only do the Siena day trip from Rome. I was just in Florence for the second time and spent four nights there without leaving and wasn't bored at all (especially since the first day is a bit of a waste due to jet lag - we landed in Rome in the am and took the train to Florence). Have a great time.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:06 AM
xxx

PS agree Assisi and Cortona are wonderful, but too much driving for a day trip IMO. <BR><BR>Regarding other day trips from Florence, We did love Montereggioni (a little castle with a wonderful restaurant Il Pozzo). You could also visit a couple vineyards from Florence (we used Lorenzo at Chianti Mania for a day trip - he drives). We took a full day tour, but I know he does half day tours. www.chiantimania.com

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:00 AM
Alice Twain

Monteriggioni is very close to San Gimignano. Better to visit it on the same day you visit San Gimignano. Also, go to San Galgano, an ancient ruined monastry whose church is still up but lacks the roof.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:17 AM
Jenny

We went to Assisi by direct train from Florence, arriving mid morning. We spent most of the day there, then stopped at Cortona on the way back for dinner. A wonderful day!