Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need cheap but nice Paris hotel - anyone know these? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-cheap-but-nice-paris-hotel-anyone-know-these-1651960/)

bakerstreet Apr 17th, 2018 06:55 AM

Need cheap but nice Paris hotel - anyone know these?

Last-minute change of plans has me looking for a relatively inexpensive Paris hotel located preferably in the 6th so my husband and I can stay one night (or, if cheap enough, book also for the night we'll be on the plane arriving so we can check in upon arrival in the morning, and then stay for 2 nights) before we move to the overly-expensive hotel in the 1st we booked to stay with friends who might be cancelling the trip. Hotel in the 1st is non-cancellable so we will stay there the remainder of the trip but don't want to add nights to that one.

I looked up hotel availability and found these that meet my price target. I'm wondering if anyone here has experience with any of them (or with any others that would be, say, under $200 U.S. dollars/night). I'd love a great location like Le Madison (close to everything including Metro). Thanks.

Hotel Saint Germain des Pres
Villa Luxembourg
Hotel A La Villa des Artistes
Hotel Edouard 6
Le Chaplain Paris Rive Gauche
Hotel Novanox

Christina Apr 17th, 2018 09:12 AM

I haven't stayed in any, just heard of them. If you are wanting to be around St Germain bd so much, you'd better check a map, becuase I know at least one of those and iot is on the southern border, on bd Montparnasse. So it's nothing like where you want to be. That's the Novanox. It's a great location for most things, as well as you can use the RER to go to/from the airport, but I think the hotel is a bit rundown, or was, just not top notch. If yo uare really interested (which I suspect you are not), check recent TA reviews or something. le Chaplain Rive Guache is also nowhere near the area you want to be, nor is the Villa Luxembourg nor the Edouard 6.

They are in Montparnasse which is why they are cheaper. Now I like the area and of course it is near the metro, you can tell on a map, but it's not the American tourist favorite area like you want. So just looking at the postal code really don't put yo uin the same area at all, you would do better to check a map as the border of the 5th is closer. These are NOT "close to everything."

The Villa Luxembourg used to be the Time, I think, it was aparthotels. It's also kind of rundown, it appears to me from what I've seen, but I haven't examined the rooms. I thought the Edouard 6 was really 7th arrondisement, to the west, but whatever, it's just a very very noisy busy corner in front of the train station.

The CHaplain Rive Gauche looks nice, but I haven't been in it. I don't think you really want this area, it sounds like you didn't know where it was. If you do, there are other hotels I have stayed in and many others that are probably good value in Montparnasse.

Christina Apr 17th, 2018 09:15 AM

You know, if you are really interested in the Novanox or Time, My comments are probably out of date, maybe they've refurbished. The Villa Luxembourg is in a very busy noisy location, also, and while Novanox is on the same street, it's in a quieter part of it (which also makes it farther away from things). It is fairly close to Port Royal RER stop and CLoserie des Lilas.

jayhawkx2 Apr 17th, 2018 07:42 PM

If you truly want "cheap," then I'd recommend Hotel Diana -- you don't say when you're going, but its price will be closer to $150 than $200. It's in the 5th but very close to the 6th and Blvd. St. Germain, 10 minutes from river. I'm staying there for 1st time in May, but reviews for it are quite good.

justineparis Apr 18th, 2018 12:52 AM

Ive stayed at the Hotel Diana.. its a very nice moderate hotel.. would stay there again.

geetika Apr 18th, 2018 01:16 AM

Last September we spent the night before our flight back home at the Familia Hotel on Rue des Ecoles in the 5th. Rooms are small, we had the chambre superieure with a small balcony, but the place is neat and clean and well located near 3 Metro stations.

Just looked at rates for early June, the standard room is 120 euros and the superior 140, with internet but no breakfast. These are rates for booking directy on their website, you need to give CC details but you aren't charged. Cancellations are free up to 72 hours ahead. At this price you can book two nights for early check-in.

FAMILIA HOTEL PARIS - 2 star hotel in Paris 5 - Latin quarter paris

5alive Apr 18th, 2018 10:46 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Clement in the 6th, and the prices two years ago were well-within your parameters I stayed there at the recommendations of others on this board. Quite near the Metro. One block from Boulevard Saint-Germain and one block from the wonderful Mulot bakery. Rooms are not large but pleasant. The staff is very kind, and will help you with your reservations.

IMDonehere Apr 18th, 2018 11:01 AM

yikes we stayed at the Familia 20 years ago. i saw the name and remembered it. Near the Sorbonne. The elevator was so small, I had to send up one leg at a time.

TDudette Apr 18th, 2018 11:16 AM

It is in the 6th but try this:

Hôtel Le Clément

Address 6 rue le Clément
Postcode 75006 France
Phone +33 (0)1 43 26 53 60
Fax +33 (0)1 44 07 06 83
Website http://www.hotel-clement-paris-saint-germain.com/
E-mail [email protected]

bakerstreet Apr 18th, 2018 01:39 PM

Thanks, everyone! Much appreciated.

geetika Apr 19th, 2018 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by IMDonehere (Post 16714817)
yikes we stayed at the Familia 20 years ago. i saw the name and remembered it. Near the Sorbonne. The elevator was so small, I had to send up one leg at a time.

The elevator's still tiny, but it was useful getting our bags up to the 5th floor, also great for my mom. There are quite a few similar hotels in the vicinity, I believe the Diana is one of them. There was one right next door too, though I can't remember the name.

The location is perfect. There a boulangerie just across the road, a cafe/restaurant serving American breakfasts two doors away and several places where you could grab a bite to eat.

ruwithme Apr 24th, 2018 06:10 AM

We were very happy with our recent stay at Hotel Castex in Le Marais. We absolutely loved the location and the hotel was suitable for us.

Good luck!

KYJudy May 4th, 2018 04:26 PM

I've seen Diana recommended a lot.

chiarachiara May 7th, 2018 01:44 AM

We have stayed twice in Edouard 6, and were very happy there. Very close to Gare Montparnasse and Rue de Rennes.
Another option is Hotel Saint Pierre in the 6th - I think? Might be border of 5th and 6th. Basic, but clean and comfortable, and the location is excellent.