Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Barcelona hotel with GREAT location and good view

Old Nov 30th, 2022, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a Barcelona hotel they really like with a wonderful location (easy walking distance to main sights), a nice view from the rooms and not tiny rooms?

There are two of us. I don't want an interior courtyard view and would like a nice city view to enjoy every bit of time we're in the room. I would like at least 300 sq.ft., air conditioning, king-sized bed (I understand that may be called queen), WiFi. Is there a hotel you especially liked that has these features? Thanks for your help.
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

After looking around, need to add: We would like a bathroom that has a door closing it off from the bed area. Sometimes the modern designs don't do that...there seem to be a lot of modern designed hotels in Barcelona...
Old Nov 30th, 2022, 02:27 PM

There were great views from the rooftop pool and bar area at Hotel Catalonia Born, I honestly don’t remember about views from the room. Steps to the Metro, Arc de Triomphe, Santa Catarina market, cathedral, Palau de Musica… check it out online and see what you think.
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 12:45 AM

Nothing about price?
With a list that long something may have to be a compromised.
This easy to use with public transport (The compromise.)
https://www.hotelfloridabarcelona.com/en

I agree with about the door to the bathroom. How someone got the idea of using a toilet where the noise and smell is in the bedroom is just gross.
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 01:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"king-sized bed (I understand that may be called queen)"

it depends,

USA King sized is so big as to be hard to find in Europe
USA Queen is generally thought to be a King in Europe
I don't know what a Europe Queen size is in the US.

hope that helps, you can always ask for dimensions
Old Dec 1st, 2022, 09:49 AM

Hi! If you don't have problems with the budget (350-650€/night), I recommend you Hotel Casa Fuster, and more specifically the rooms Suite (57 m2) and Grand Suite (97 m2)

Need Barcelona hotel with GREAT location and good view-detalle1.jpg

But this budget is unaffordable for many people. The Gran hotel la Florida has very good views but it is far away and I'm not sure if it is still open. Mandarin Oriental has some good suites but the prices are really high too (800€/night).

Old Dec 1st, 2022, 03:29 PM

As Besalu says, the Hotel Florida on Montjüic would not be a handy location for you at all, or any hotel located on Montjüic.
The Casa Fuster, located just to the north of where the Moderniste architecture-lined Passeig de Grācia meets the Diagonal does have splendid views south from its small-ish roof terrace (been there).

But these 5-star GL hotels are pricey, as well as the 3 located directly on the Passeig de Grācia with roof top terraces and king beds:
The Majestic, the Monumental and the Mandarin Oriental. The MO entry level rooms run small, so it wouldn't be my choice for the price.
The Majestic's 10th floor roof top terrace, offers splendid views of La Pedrera (Casa Milā) and offers the Dolce Vitae bar/restaurant, a spa and a dip pool (all the rooftop pools I've except for the one at the 1898 are small).

We've stayed at the Majestic on business and were upgraded to a Privilege Passeig de Grācia room. These measure 30-35 square meters, but they don't come cheap! The Majestic would be my first choice if your budget allows. It has "normal" bathrooms rather than exposed ones, thank goodness.

From any hotel on the Passeig de Grācia in the elegant Eixample, you'll be within walking distance of most major sites, except for those on Montjüic.

You don't necessarily need to compromise, as there are several 4 and 5-star properties in the Eixample and the Gothic Quarter that would meet your requirements, but... you may need to upgrade to a deluxe or jr. suite to meet your 300 square feet (28 square meters) preference.

If you prefer views of the water, there's the Duquesa de Cardona and the more luxurious Serras facing the port & yacht harbor, both with roof top terraces, but again, to have 28 square meters, you'd need to choose a jr suite at the former or a Grand Deluxe (377 square feet) at the latter.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
"king-sized bed (I understand that may be called queen)"

it depends,

USA King sized is so big as to be hard to find in Europe
USA Queen is generally thought to be a King in Europe
I don't know what a Europe Queen size is in the US.

hope that helps, you can always ask for dimensions
Our European bed is the equivalent of a California King, but longer. Ours is 180x220cm. Perfectly normal size here, in the land of giants, but not so much elsewhere in Europe. Normally a double in a hotel is 180cm x 180/200cm, though you do get them at only 140cm by 180/200 in smaller hotels, especially in France.
Old Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:27 PM

Not all "European" beds are the same. Sizes can vary in different countries.
https://www.bedsizes.biz/european.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bed_size

Last edited by VANAARLE; Dec 2nd, 2022 at 11:12 PM.