Reload this Page >

Need Assistance with Trip to Rhodes and Turkey, Question about the order

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all!

Been missing from the forum lately due to lots of work , family, etc, etc. Also I am all planned for our big Egypt, Jordan and Israel trip this year and have really no more questions about that, so onto planning 2010!

Anyway, we decided to go to Rhodes and Turkey. We were going to add Turkey on to this years trip ( some of you may have remembered my threads), to Egypt, Jordan and Israel, but are holding off now until 2010.

We are actually all planned with the Turkey portion as I went through the planning part when I thought we were going this year. I know things might be different for 2010, but I think I am set for this( the itinerary and hotels part)

My question then is is this:

Which order makes the most sense or if both are fine, then a confirmation of this would be great.

We have not of course booked any flights since its not until summer 2010, we fly AA, so that will figure into this, but just as a rough guess, what do think makes better sense:

1. Fly from DC to Athens ( we've been here before and loved it so we can stop fo a night or two), then fly to Rhodes, spend our time in Rhodes ( we are thinking 6 nights, with maybe one or two of those nights in Symi or we might just stay put and just do Symi as a day trip, not sure yet). I am thinking about us staying at Rodos Park Hotel outside the Old Town gates.

Then ferry to Turkey. Where does the ferry come into? My original plan for the Turkey portion was to start in Istanbul ( we like to get the heavy history done first usually) and then go to Cappadocia, then continue into Bodrum, Kudasasi, Prirene, etc But if the ferry comes in at a certain point other than Istanbul, should we start there and work our way to Istanbul and then fly back home from istanbul?

Or is there a plane from Rhodes to Istanbul and skip the ferry?

OR

2. Fly from DC to Istanbul, start in Istanbul, continue throughout Turkey as outlined above, then ferry to Rhodes( not interested in the long ferry ride back to Athens, would want to fly) and then fly to Athens, spend a night or two and then Athens home to DC

3. Just to throw in another wrench, DH has talked about visiting Bulgaria and a Black Sea resort for a few days as well to tack on. Thoughts?

All thoughts are as always appreciated!

Thanks a mil...
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:19 AM

It makes better sense if you fly to Istanbul, and make your way south to Bodrum or Marmaris for the ferry to Rhodes, then fly from Rhodes to Athens for a couple of days. There is no ferry I'm aware of that originates in Istanbul that will take you south. With the stops you want to make in Turkey you'll either have to take the bus or rent a car.

If you save time for Athens at the end of your trip you won't be stressing about getting back there for the flight home at the last minute from Rhodes.

http://www.feribot.net/feribot/?lang=en
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Brotherleelove I knew I could count on you.

Have not posted a question since the new format; not sure I like it at all. It took me some time to find my post again,without clicking on my screen name: yikes!

Oh well...

what you suggested makes sense, I'll feel around AA to see what kind of flights they have even for 2009 to give me some semblance of an idea

Again, thanks, you are indeed the best!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

also, anyone want to comment on best Bulgarian Black Sea Resort. Looking for something really nice, lux to end the vacation perhaps?

While I usually keep all threads together when inquiring about 1 trip, I think I might start a new thread on Bulgaria since my tags here on this post are for Greece and turkey and someone who knows about Bulgaria, might not see this.

not in love with this new format....
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM

In 2003 we ended a Turkish sailing trip at the harbor of Marmaris where some of our group caught the ferry to Rhodes. You could do it either direction. We picked up a rental car in Marmaris and drove to Bodrum, stayed one night then to Didima, Myletos and Priene during the day and stayed the next two or three nights in Sirence to see Ephesus then easy drive to Izmir about one hour to drop off car and fly Izmir to Istanbul.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Laurie

Tell me about your sailing trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 01:11 AM

As Brotherleelove suggests Istanbul-Cappadocia-fly to Izmir- Visit Epheus & environs, Prienne, Miletus, Didyma, Bodrum, Marmaris and Rhodos is a way to follow best or if you started in Greece first do the opposite and end up in Istanbul.

Happy travelling,
Murat
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 04:11 AM

The majority of the Bulgarian Black Sea resorts are geared towards family package holidays, and can get very busy; "Luxury" is always a relative term, but the Grand Hotel Varna, in St. Konstantin, and the Sol Nessebar Palace, between Ravda & Nessebar, are both high end (for Bulgaria) and affordable. I have stayed in both, but if pushed, I would go for the Nessebar Palace. The websites are:

http://www.grandhotelvarna.com/main/index.php?lang=en

http://www.solmelia.com/solNew/hotel...FQqenAodhjBLRQ
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 05:17 AM

ill be reading this with interest
we would like to do a sailing trip
maybe from crete to rhodes and then turkey
dont know what order either
but ill get to that

be a while before we do this one!
have a wonderful time in the meantime in 2010!