Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need an itinerary for two weeks in Paris/Normandy

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I'm new around here. I thought you might be able to help me plan a trip my wife and I are taking to France. We have two weeks (not including travel days) to see Paris and Normandy (end of March and early April). My wife and I really like to get to know a city every time we travel but realize that there is much to see outside Paris as well. We are trying to limit our travel to just one region and we thought of Normandy because of Mont St. Michel and D-Day beaches.

Anyone care to provide advice on how to plan such a trip? We found a hotel in Paris on the Avenue de Villiers (is that a good area) for a good price. It's just north of L'Arc de Triomphe. Outside of Paris we haven't a clue as to where to stay or what the best way is to get there (train, bus, car?). We also would like an idea of how long to visit each area.

The way we see it now we think 7-9 days in Paris (we have a pretty good idea of what to see there) and maybe 5 days in traveling through Normandy going as far as Mont St-Michel. Thoughts.

Lastly, I'm open to other regions outside Normandy if you think that is better, keeping in mind we are flying into and out of Paris. Also, it might help to know that we like good food and good wine and are willing to pay extra for it.

Thanks.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:34 PM

I'd divide the trip up evenly between Paris and Normandy.

Don't know the hotel, but north of the Arc de Triomphe would be a bit far out for my tastes. I think you'd be happier in the 1st, 5th, 6th, or 7th arrondissements.

To visit Normandy, I'd suggest you base yourself in Bayeux for maybe 2 or three nights. It's a good base for visiting the D-Day beaches and the Mémorial inCaen. We like the Château de la Bellefontaine for accommodations, but others have their favorite hotels as well.

After Bayeux, take a loop down to Le Mont St-Michel and then back to Paris. Perhaps you could stop in Rouen or Chartres on the way back.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:09 PM

Can't help you with the D-Day beaches, but last summer my wife and I traveled in Normandy and Brittany. Search for <i>Trip Report: Ghent, Normandy and Brittany</i>.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:30 PM

I took a similar trip in April 2003. We were away 10 days total including travel time. We landed at CDG, rented a car and headed toward Normandy. The first day we drove towards Giverney. Along the way we stopped at the small towns and just enjoyed getting sidetracked. After Giverney we headed towards Honfleur for the first night. We did stop in Rouen, briefly before arriving at Honfleur. Had one of our best dinners in Honfleur at a Michelin 1-star restaurant. Next day we toured the small town and headed toward Bayeaux. Along the way we stopped in Caen to tour the War II museum and anything else that interested us. We arrived in Bayeaux late so didnt tour the town.

The next morning we got up early and started touring the D-Day beaches. Went to Omaha, Utah and one other. Headed back to Paris late in the day. Dropped off the car at the airport and took a taxi into the city.

We stayed 5 days in Paris in the 6th District at hotel de Flueire. This hotel was a wonderful find and will stay there again when we return. The 6th district is very centrally located, lots of metro stops and loaded with restaurants. We liked how busy it was late at night which I realize not everyone looks for. I'm a big city girl who likes the hustle and bustle.

When in Paris take the metro not taxis, get the museum card, walk around and enjoy!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 05:33 PM

Hi there, I spent some time two summers ago in Ouistreham, letting that be my &quot;home base&quot;. It was a lovely little town, and I was easily able to reach all the places that were of interest to me. I flew into Paris. took the train to Caen, walked across the street and picked up my rental car.
The most rewarding part was just being able to drive along, stop and walk the beaches, and remember the sacrifice paid by all the soldiers, a humbling experience. Good luck - if I can answer any questions, feel free to write.
Sue
[email protected]
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Here is a suggested itinerary based on my experiences. Pick up rental car at airport on arrival. Drive west on the A13 to Vernon/Giverny. Tour Monet's home-studio for 2-3 hrs. On to Honfleur for the night. Day 2: 3-4 hrs in Honfleur, then drive through Trouville/Deauville to Caen. See the Memorial for Peace (Battle of Normandy Museum). Drive on to Bayeux for the next 3 nights. Day 3: drive to Ste-Mere-Eglise (Airborne Museum)---then to Utah Beach (Utah Beach Museum)---back to Point du Hoc where the US Rangers scaled the cliff---on to Omaha Beach and the American Cemetary at St. Laurent (allow a couple of hours for the beach and Cemetary--it may close at 5pm). Back to Bayeux. Day 4: See the Bayeux Tapestry (story of William the Conqueror's victory at the Battle of Hastings, on cloth). Tour the Bayeux Memorial Museum/Battle of Normandy on the ourskirts of Bayeux. Drive to Arromanches (Musee du Debarquement). Just out from Arromanches is Longues Sur Mer, German gun battery with bunkers, guns intact. Interesting. Then drive east along the coast where the British and Canadian forces landed (Gold, Juno, and Sword Beaches). See the Pegasus Bridge and museum at Benouville (first D-Day capture of French soil made by British paratroops in the wee morning hours). Back to Bayeux. Day 5: Drive south to Mont-St-Michel. Stop briefly on the way at Villedieu, if you dare, to shop for beautiful copper cookware. Spend the night on Mont-St-Michel to enjoy the experience (much better in the evening when the tourists have departed). Day 6: Drive to Paris. Stop for an hour or so in Fougeres to see one of Europe's largest medieval castles. Stop in Chartres to view the giant Cathedral. Turn in rental car and take taxi to hotel. Days 7-14 in Paris.

E-mail me if you have more questions, particularly about Normandy and D-Day. I have been there on 6 different trips. [email protected]

Regards,

Jinx Hoover

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:52 AM

We're spending some time in Normandy next September; here's our itinerary.

Day 1 Flight to Paris; settle at hotel in Pacy-sur-Eure

Day 2 Giverny, Les Andelys, Rouen; possibly Novotel Rouen Sud, 2 nights.

Day 3 Le Havre (for museum with Dufys), Honfleur. Possible hotel: L'Ecrin.

Day 4 Deauville, Bayeux. Possible B&amp;B: Ch&acirc;teau de Cottun

Day 5 Mont St-Michel; Coutances. Same hotel as Day 4.

Day 6 Landing beaches; Caen; Le Bec Hellouin. Night near Rouen.

I hope that's helpful.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:53 AM

I meant to suggest that you pick up a copy of the Michelin green guide to Normandy. It's invaluable for trip planning, as it includes suggested itineraries and stopping points.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:06 AM

We travelled to Normandy and Paris this past May and had a wonderful trip and beautiful weather. We stayed in Bayeux - I suggest the Hotel Argouges (sp.). Bayeux is a lovely small town and worth spending some time to see the tapestry and just pick up the feel of the town. There are a number of very nice restaurants as well - Le Pommier, Le Petit Normande, La Rapier. I agree with those who suggest that the 5th, 6th or 7th Arr. would be a nicer location to stay in Paris. We love the 6th and if you search this board you will find many favorite hotels. I know you will have a great time.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:20 AM

grosenb,
Our trip planned for March 04, is very similar to your itinerary. Rouen, Honfleur, Mont St Michel, a stop at Chartres on the way to Paris. We're also returning to the Fluerie. Am intersted in the name of the restaurant you mentioned in Honfleur. Always like to have a few ideas for dinner before we arrive. Thank you!
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:10 AM

johnny:

I'm going to throw you a curve. You said you were open to suggestions for other regions. Not knowing why you picked Normandy, I'll just add this thought.

On our trip last year, we spent time in Paris then drove all over the French countryside including Dordogne, Loire, Brittany and Normandy. It was a beautiful, delightful trip.

We REALLY wanted to visit Provence, but decided to leave it for a future trip. Since then, however, fate intervened and it doesn't look like another trip is in the cards any time soon. We really regret now that we didn't go to Provence when we had the chance.

So: If you don't plan to return soon, you might want to consider a week in Paris, 5 or 6 days in Provence, then return to Paris for a couple of nights before departure. The TGV rail to Avignon is about 3 hours...very doable in the time you have.

Where ever you choose, Bon Journee!

(Don't forget to allow for Easter...many closings to take into account)
Old Jan 31st, 2004, 05:28 AM

&quot;My wife and I really like to get to know a city every time we travel . . .&quot;

Then by all means rent an apartment for that first week in Paris!!

I won't add to the other suggested itineraries above -- already plenty of good suggestions. But do let me say that a night at Mont St. Michel is a must -- please don't just stop by in the day.