Need an easy 4 day trip in France

Old May 12th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need an easy 4 day trip in France

I am located in Tours, France and I just found out we will have a 4 day holiday beginning 20 May for a religious holiday. I want to take a quick trip, but honestly, I just don't know where to go. This is sudden and because of my intensive classes, I just don't have time to do lots of research. I am on a limited budget so it needs to be low cost. Can some of you give me some suggestions? I have thought of Dijon, but don't know anything about hotels, sights, etc. Also, Lyon is a straight shot from here on the train. Would like to see the area of Provence, but which town? And that looks like it may take forever by train. Are there any lowcost French airlines here like EasyJet in England? Ok my travelling cyberfriends, help me out! LOL Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:05 AM

My suggestion is to go to Normandy. Stay in Bayeux and visit the cathedral, tapestry, museums, beaches, etc. There are a lot of reasonable B/B's around there alth we stayed at a hotel in town. Good food, nice people. If you're into history, this is the place.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:51 AM

Hello Crepes,
With 4 days, you could visit Lyon for a bit of culture, history and good food, and then catch a train up to Annecy or elsewhere in the Alps (e.g. Chamonix, St Gervais, Mont Blanc) for a spot of fresh air and gorgeous mountain views. There's a map of the regional train network in the Rhône Alps region here: http://www.ter-sncf.com/rhone-alpes/Default.htm (click on map icon in menu bar)

Beware that because there are so few "ponts" this year, every Frenchman and his dog will be wanting to make the most of the long weekend, so you'll need to book trains and accommodation ASAP.

As far as I know, there is no real low-cost airline network in France on a par with those in the UK, etc., apart from a few Easyjet flights from Orly to Nice and the like.
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Hi Crepes!

Since you mention budget, that pretty much leaves a rental car out. For a single traveler the train is almost always cheaper.

Given your other constraint of no time to plan I'd go with Lyon like hanl mentions.

You're in a small town so you'll get to go to one of France's largest cities. There's plenty to see and do with museums, churches, Vieux Lyon, Fourviere hill etc. The food is excellent.

Lyon has very good train connections if you decide to take a day trip.

The hotel La Residence on r. Victor Hugo gets good recommendations here. Though with the holiday you may just have to practice your French some more and call the visitors center. Hopefully they can tell you of a decent budget hotel with availability near a metro/tram stop.
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Riquewhir, Alsace!!!
M
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:20 AM

May sound stupid, but have you tried Air France. I've seen lots of adverts recently for cheap fares intra-France and intra-Europe. Plus they do some last minute internet deals which you can get I think either Tuesday or Wednesday.

-Kevin
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Hi

check out Languedoc.
Decent weather, super beaches, loads of old history, biggest wine area in France. Lots of info here : http://tlp.netfirms.com

Peter
Old May 14th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

thanks to everyone for your suggestions and information. thanks, hanl. you always come thru with your vast first hand experience of living here. i have been thinking of lyon-dijon, but didn't have any firm info. will spend the weekend at an internet cafe trying to finish the details.
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:37 AM

If you have any Lyon-specific questions, feel free!
Old May 14th, 2004, 05:55 AM

Hi Crepes. Just wanted to mention a few websites for low cost airlines in case you want to pursue flying somewhere. Whichbudget.com told me there's a Ryanair flight between Tours & Stansted London if you're desperate to hear some English (but I don't think that's what you had in mind

Skyscanner.net has a nice search engine but I couldn't get it to work for me from Tours. Maybe you can. Applefares.com is another search engine.

Bonne chance!

BTW, I came across your panic post yesterday-the omg I'll be alone in Paris one & enjoyed reading the advice you got. So I assume it went fine?? All the best! BTW, that weekend I think is also a bank holiday in Britain.
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:58 PM

Hanl, I have a 7AM flight to catch from Lyon airport. Where should I stay the day/night before and still enjoy something of Lyons. My itinerary for the days leading up to my Lyon departure is still in planning stage so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 04:01 AM

Javawater, if I were you I'd stay somewhere central (enjoy a nice meal and evening stroll) and then get a taxi out to the airport for your flight early in the morning. The taxi to the airport will probably cost you around 50 euros, however.

If that's too steep, another option is to take the shuttle bus to the airport from Perrache station. The first bus leaves at 5 a.m. and the journey is 50 minutes and costs 8 euros. It wouldn't give you a lot of leeway for your flight, but you'd still arrive in time to check in.

As for where to stay, various mid-range hotels are often recommended on this board, most of which are located very centrally, near Place Bellecour. The ones that come up most often are as follows (all are in safe, decent locations):

Hotel la Résidence (http://www.hotel-la-residence.com/) is a decent 3 star on a pedestrian street (rue Victor Hugo, running between place Bellecour and Perrache station).

Hotel Dubost (http://www.hotel-dubost-lyon.federal...page_en_1.html) is another decent choice, on the square right in front of Perrache station.

Hotel des Artistes (http://www.hoteldesartistes.fr/) is by place des Celestins, a pleasant square just north of place Bellecour.

I hope that's of some help. You might actually want to post this as a separate question in order to a get bit more feedback from others, though
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

I was in Lyon for 4 days last month and thoroughly loved it. Thanks to everyone on this board who recommended it. Hanl's post lists Hotel La Residence which is where I stayed. It was wonderful - it had A/C for only 68 euros per nite for a double! The entire hotel as been completely renovated and it is supreme. Be sure to ask for a room with a tub which is the same price as with shower. Breakfast is a hearty buffet including eggs and a charcuterie tray as well as cereals and several types of patisserie. Great cafe creme and hot tea too. Unlimited, serve yourself. The confiture is tiny jars of Bonne Maman - nothing was of cheap quality. But the price was cheap at 6.50 euros for breakfast. You can't get a cafe creme and a croissant for less than that at a sidewalk cafe. The staff is great and many spoke some English if you need it.

The street is a "pieton" street reserved for pedestrians. Great street, the hotel is half way between the Place Bellecour on one end and Perrache railway on the other. Everything is in walking distance. Lots to do and see in Lyon. Can't recommend it highly enough.