Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need affordable lodging edinburgh ??- Travellodge??

Jul 6th, 1999, 03:11 PM
Rashid

We are planning to go to edinburgh in August and have been looking for affordable accoomadation in edinburgh without much success.... We r a family of four "All adults" who r looking for a clean and safe place and also en-suite. Facilities like restraunts,bars,pools...etc. r of no importance to us...we prefer if the place was part of a chain or well known...any suggestions?? ...a friend has mentioned travellodge? has anyone stayed in one? especially in scotland? how would u rate it?? If we stay outside edinburgh (5-10 miles) will it be easy for us to travel to the city? and would it be costly?

thanks to everyone who reads this message...and a special thanks to anyone who provides any advice..

Jul 6th, 1999, 03:18 PM
Tony Hughes

Rashid - I dont want to put you off, mate, but August is possibly the worst month in which to visit Edinburgh. That's when the International festival is held and the population of the city doubles to 600,000. Most hotels are booked solid or they raise their prices to extortionate rates specifically for tourists...in saying that if you really want to come you can always find somewhere to stay (my bathroom is free ..$2000 a week?)

Public Transport is fairly good over the whole Lothian Region so yes, you maybe better staying a few miles out of the city.

Mail me if you want to go through with this...

regards

Jul 6th, 1999, 03:59 PM
Sue

Hi, my sister and I were in Edinburgh a little over a year ago and we stayed at the Ibis, a chain, fairly new and was about $80.00 a night for the both of us. The hotel in the center of town, very convient to most all of the sights. Take the bus tour, it was great, you can get on and off all day.

Jul 6th, 1999, 06:21 PM
topper

!

Jul 6th, 1999, 06:24 PM
Karen

First of all, if you are planning to go to Edinburgh THIS August, you might have a bit of trouble getting any kind of lodging in the city, affordable or otherwise. I booked ahead last January and had to call around as some of the places I wanted were already booked, due to the previously-mentioned festival. I believe the place you were wondering about is called The Travel Inn -- a chain of motel-like places all over the UK. Never stayed in one myself, but was told (by a friend who lives there and travels around alot on business) that they are generally clean, affordable, all are ensuite and most (if not all) have a restaurant attached -- breakfast. They are apparently,also, totally devoid of charm, but then I get the impression that charm is not on your top 5 list of priorities this time . . . Their website is "http://www.travelinn.co.uk/site-index.html" Happy hunting!

P.S. I would take Tony's advice if I were you and try to find a place to stay outside of the city.

Jul 6th, 1999, 06:26 PM
Karen

OOPS! On my previous post I didn't finish one of my sentences. When referring to the restaurant I meant to say "breakfast not included in price of room".

Jul 6th, 1999, 09:59 PM
Rashid

Thank u for responding
The problem is, August is the only month available for us to travel in...if we do not travel in august we must delay the trip to July next year?? would that be better time for visiting edinburgh??
What if we stayed outside edinburgh for the few days we visited the city?? how many days do u suggest we stay there so that we can see the city?? what other places in the area r nice to stay in?? we r thinking of visiting the lake district, will three days be more then enough? other suggested places???

which would u prefer for clean and safe lodging? travel inn or travel lodge? has anyone stayed there??

thanks again..

Jul 7th, 1999, 11:50 AM
Sheila

Rashid

I have posted elsewhere about Travel Lodges/Inns. There's not a ha'p'orth of difference between them.

Have you thought about staying Glasgow. It's under an hour on the train and an easy run if you don't get mixed up with the commuters.

Everything within half an hour of Edinburgh is at a premium during the Festival. The up side is that it makes Edinburgh a fun place to be.

How long you stay depend son your individual preferences. If it were me, I'd fix to arrive early one morning, stay centrally overnight ( even if it was a bit dearer) and leave late the next day- if necessary compromising downwards on price in other places.

That would give you time for a bit of sight seeing, a bit of shopping, a bit of dining out, a walk up Arthur's Seat and a few shows.

What more could a body ask for?

Jul 8th, 1999, 04:20 AM
topper

!