Greece in late November

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece in late November

Traveling to Athens the end of November for a week. Would like to get to Ephesus in Turkey. Can it be done in a day and what is the best way to get there? Is it worth it?

What will the weather be like in Athens that time of year?
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 05:08 PM

Technically you could do it in a day IF you can make all the right connections. You'll have to first fly to Istanbul then take a domestic flight to Izmir, then from Izmir hire a car to drive to Ephesus, which is near the small town of Selcuk. I would recommend hiring a car and driver for the duration of your journey to and from Ephesus unless you feel confident about driving yourself.

For example, Olympic Airways has a flight from Athens to Istanbul that leaves at 08:05 and arrives in Istanbul at 09:20. Turkish Airlines has an hour flight from Istanbul to Izmir that leaves at 11:00, and you can get a return flight back to Istanbul at 19:00 arriving at 20:00.

The return flight to Greece leaves Istanbul at 21:00 and arrives back in Athens at 22:40.

This gives you a total of about 7 hours on the ground once you arrive in Izmir. It will take about an hour to drive to Ephesus and another hour to drive back plus an hour for check-in, leaving you with 4 hours to explore Ephesus, a wonderful archaeological site.

What you propose would be an exhausting trip. If you can spend one night I'd recommend it wholeheartedly. That way you could drive yourself and relax and enjoy the sights.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Brotherleelove2004

Thanks so much for the reply. Sounds like getting to Ephesus might be a little too optimistic for this trip. Any other suggestions?

Also, do you know what the weather might be the end of November in Athens?
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 05:19 AM

I've never been to Greece in November, sorry. Weather predictions are never accurate anyway.

I have, however, had another thought about getting you to Ephesus. There's an early morning (05:45) flight from Athens to Samos, the island closest to Ephesus. It will get you to Samos by 06:45, and there's a return flight at 17:00. Once you're in Athens you could probably find out about day-trip ferry/bus excursions to Ephesus from Samos and determine if this would give you enough time to get there and back in time for the return flight. This route would probably save you money as well as being easier on the stress meter. The excursion would most likely include the ground transportation to and from Ephesus from Kusadasi, which is the point of entry into Turkey from Samos. It's relatively close to Ephesus, making the journey faster and much easier.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:33 AM

We honeymooned in Greece in November. The weather was perfect, like fall in California. Bright and warm in midday. When we were in Ephesus it poured rain on us! We loved it.
I highly suggest you find a way to get over to Ephesus and spend the night in Turkey. If you have any interest in ruins you'll find it amazing. Wear your walking shoes and bring a snack and an umbrella.
have fun,
trish