Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need affirmation: 2 weeks Austria/France with no checked bags. Can I really do it?

Need affirmation: 2 weeks Austria/France with no checked bags. Can I really do it?

May 9th, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Need affirmation: 2 weeks Austria/France with no checked bags. Can I really do it?

Just like the Little Engine That Could, I'm beginning to think that I can do this.

The first 9 days of our trip we will have access to American washer & dryer. So that's the good news.

But, the weather will be chilly in Austria (I'm extremely cold natured) and will probably have some warm days in Paris. So that means layers, which take up a bit more room.

And unlike most men, my DH likes to wear a shirt & tie to most nice restaurants but he doesn't mind wearing them more than once since he's discovered coolmax undershirts, nor does he mind sending them out to the laundry. So I'm thinking 2 dress shirts and 2 polo shirts for him, 2 dress slacks and 2 casual. 4 undershirts & 5 briefs. Socks. Windbreaker. One pair of dress shoes. He will wear jeans & his sport coat and casual shoes on the plane.You think that will do it for him?

Me, I just have to get over the fashionista in me and I may be able to do it in one 22" carry on plus my purse. Hubby will take one 22" and the toiletries bag. (Liquid, gels & creams in the ziplock bags of course.)

Where I get bogged down is with books, phone, charger, and all the "stuff" I think I can't live without.

Do you think this is doable for 15 days with the 2 climates and nice restaurants?

7 days and counting.
May 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Of course you can. I wouldn't want to, but I could if I had to. I couldn't do it partly because of the shoes and toiletries, and books, copies of reservations, maps, etc. I could a lot easier if I were only going one place, as that cuts down on that a lot. But if you have someone else to carry the toiletries, that cuts out one thing.

I never take chargers or phones, anyway, so they aren't necessary at all.

You do have to be willing to wear only the same couple things endlessly.
May 9th, 2007, 09:57 AM

What time of year are you going? If it is winter/spring it could prove difficult as you need to factor in getting wet/snowed on - falling in snow and the like.

Other than that, its compeletely doable.

Anyway, you can always buy stuff.

Books - leave behind. Buy some in Paris or Vienna. Both have great English bookshops.

Pack a nylon barrel bag or something in case you want to bring stuff back.

Charger takes up no space.

May 9th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I've always found that it isn't the clothes that take up space & weight, it's things like toiletries, shoes & books.

So look at them first

Also match your clothing (ie leave the Hawaiian shirt behind) so you can have a range of dressing options each day
May 9th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Unless its a winter ski vacation, we always travel with unchecked bags.Everything has to match,please use layers, and make use of easy care fabrics. Silk long underwear is nice to take if it is chilly as well as a fleece jacket that you can carry.We always take a dress up outfit-my husband always bringing a jacket shirts and tie.Do it and you will love the ease of it.Good luck.
May 9th, 2007, 05:01 PM

I manage it every trip - winter or summer. And since you'll have a washer/dryer it won't even take that much planning. The pou=int is to take things that layer instead of really heavy garments. And if you aare taking a down jacket - use a space bag. It will shrink a full-sized down vest or jacket down to about an inch high. You don't have to give up on being a fashionista either.

Travel sizes of toiletries - and buy more over there if you run out.

Last week end at a local library, I taught 127 people how and you can do it too
May 9th, 2007, 05:49 PM

"The point is . . . . "
May 9th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Have you factored in the new rules which apparently are being enforced in some European airports regarding only ONE carryon going thru security? not one carryon AND a purse OR one carryon AND a toiletries bag? Apparently you can stuff the purse INTO the carryon to get it thru security IF there is room for it.
May 9th, 2007, 07:23 PM

yes - I factor that in. As long as you don't cram it so full there is no space at all, it is easy to place your handbag in the carry-on for clearing security. It is best to use an "unconstructed", squishible handbag like a le Sports Sac or a hobo bag.
May 9th, 2007, 07:28 PM

Bring Cuddleduds for warmth - don't take up any room to speak of. And yes, my gripe IS the shoes--take up way too much space.

The airlines lost my dad's luggage (way back when) for the full length of our 6 week trip and reimbursed him $100 or so. He was too cheap to lay out $$$ for the more expensive European clothes, so besides new underwear/socks and a sweater, he wore the same pants and shirt...the joke was for dinner "dress up", he buttoned the top button!

If he can do that, I'm sure you can fare even better with a carry on...pictures of yourself won't be too varied, but who takes too many of those?
May 9th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Yes you can! My husband and I did 1 week Paris, 1 week France with 1 roller and 1 small carry bag between the 2 of us. No checked luggage, we always looked nice, and we didn't have a million things to try to keep track of. Packing light really makes things easier. You're planning ahead and seem to have a great start - good for you!
May 10th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys! I love your tips, especially the long underware. I will definately grab that one.

What are cuddledowns?

Luckily, we are not connecting to any flights once we arrive in Europe, so that won't be an issue.

I was a bit worried about the flight home out of Paris but I was finally able to ascertain that we still can take one carry on and one personal item through DeGaulle airport. There have been reports of the airport authorities making up their own rules as they go along but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
May 10th, 2007, 09:20 AM

It is cuddlduds. A brand of sort of thermal long underwear that is very soft and very warm. You can get them at most Macy's, Penneys sometimes, other department stores.

Silk long underwear is even thinner and just as warm - but will cost more. For that you'll likely have to order on line (like from wintersilks, Eddie Bauer, or other companies) since they are a seasonal item. At least wear Ilive, the outdoors/adventure stores only stock it in the Fall/winter.
May 10th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Here's another huge recommendation for Cuddl Duds. The lightweight ones are just fine, even in the chilliest weather. I take a set of ivory and a set of black. They double as pajamas. Can be rinsed out in the sink and dry overnight. Buy a size larger - they shrink a bit if you put them in a dryer.
May 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM

PS - There are many online resources for buying Cuddl Duds. Just do a web search.
May 10th, 2007, 12:59 PM

I thinkyou can do it as long as you plan to do laundry some way.

You might also look at silk underwear, too.

Search this Thread