Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advise on where to visit London to Edinburgh in July 2010

Old Sep 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be taking a 10 day Baltic Sea area (Copenhagen, St. Petersburg, etc.). We arrive in London on July 1 and depart on the Cruise July 6th. We have visited London twice in the past and want advise on a possible 5 night itinerary, thinking that maybe a visit to Edinburgh would be fun. We do not plan to rent a car, preferring to take trains if possible. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 10:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure why you are flying into London if you don't want to visit the city. It would have made more sense IMO to fly into either Glasgow or Edinburgh, spend your 5 days in Scotland, then either fly or take the train to wherever the cruise leaves from (which port are you using?)

Have you already booked your flights this far in advance? If not, look into flying into Scotland.

Even if you want to see something in between Edinburgh and London, I'd still fly into Scotland and then work my way south. Otherwise you spend quite a bit of your limited time backtracking.

Now, if your flight is set in stone - I'd fly into LHR, immediately fly up to Edinburgh, stay 3 nights. Then take the train to York for 2 nights, and finally to the port (recommendations might be different depending on which port)
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Check out Scarborough, England. I spent a week there last month and loved it. Beautiful Victorian buildings and terrific sea views. Many, many hotels and b&b's on the south bay cliffs and the north bay cliffs with drop dead sea views. I stayed at "Mansion House" on the South Cliff where prices are a little higher but there are lots of nice rooms available on the North Cliff also. Very old town dating back to medieval times. Town is small but very charming and there is good train service from London and all of eastern U.K.

Larry J
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Dear Larry J

thanks for the advise, much appreciated

John S
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Janisj

Thanks for heads up. We may need to reconsider our plan.

John S
Old Sep 28th, 2009, 02:27 AM

Where do you sail from, John?
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

We sail out of Harwich England
Old Mar 17th, 2010, 07:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Harwich is east of London. Traveling from London to Edinburgh, back to London and out to Harwich in 5 days is pretty frantic.

Back when you first posted last year, we asked if you had already booked your flight into London? Are you still thinking of Edinburgh? Have you made any decisions/changes since last Sept?
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Yeah, but you could do it without going back to London.

personally I wouldn't but there's no reason why you shouldn't except the logistics. Mind you, you'd love East Anglia, with Cambridge as the icing on the gingerbread, if you decided to that instead