Train from Barcelona to France

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Train from Barcelona to France

We are ending a cruise in Barcelona in the middle of August, and we'd like to make our way to Paris over the next ten days or so. We have NEVER been to France! My husband has agreed to go only if we go to the Pyrenees. I am told that the drop-off fees to rent a car in Spain and drive it into France are prohibitive, so I thought we'd take the train, and then rent a car in France. What would be a good destination, where we wouldn't have to change trains? Rail Europe's website is astonishingly devoid of information. Thanks for any and all advice!
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 07:29 PM
rex

You've (generally) heard right, Athena. I don't see any good way to do this without some back tracking. I have rented in Perpignan - - and it does sit right at the base of the Pyrenees, where you descend from Andorra.

A lot depends on <i>where</i> in the Pyrenees he insists that you go.

You could (I think) weave pretty much the entire length of the Pyrenees, and end up on the Atlantic southwest coast area (Biarritz, Bordeaux, other desintations in the same general area). You could turn in your French car there, and take the train all the way back to Paris - - or make the drive by way of Poitiers, Cognac, the Loire, Chartres, etc...

See www.viamichelin.com for driving info.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi Rex,

Thanks for you reply. I think we will take the train to Perpignan, pick up a car there, and try to stay overnight at La Villa Duflot. I read a book a while back, &quot;Instructions for Visitors,&quot; whihc took place in Perpigan, and I have been wanting to go there ever since! I hear that it's the hottest city in France. I guess that refers to the temperature.

I think we will head east from there instead of west. I have been wishing to go to Provence since forever, and my dear husband has finally agreed to take me there, as I am turning 65 at the end of August! The Pyreness will have to wait for another trip . . . maybe when HE turns 65.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 09:14 PM
rex

You're welcome.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 02:13 AM

There are two through trains a day from Barcelona to Perpignan. The problem is that the Spanish tracks have a wider gauge; the through trains are Talgo trains and the wheels are adjusted at the border. You have to reserve a seat on these trains and cannot travel without a reservation. There are more frequent Spanish trains to Cerb&egrave;re which is the first station in France - these are local trains and are slower and cheaper. At Cerb&egrave;re, you can change to a French train to continue, but you may be able to book a car there.
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Geoff,
Thank you for the VERY useful information! How does one find out about these other trains? Is there a website?
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Perpignan may be a good staging point for the rest of your journey but I've never thought of it as a place I'd spend much time in -- &quot;big, newish, unremarkable city&quot; was my impression on my one visit.

When heading north-east from there, if driving: Stop north of Perpignan to visit the Fort de Salses, a beautiful red-brick fort right beside the motorway.

Others will likely propose Montpellier as a stop, for its remarkable architecture.

Where in Provence, BTW? You will find many recommendations for Provence on this site, to judge by the volume of recent exchanges....

If you are heading to Paris, there is no reason, barring some particular sight you have in mind, to move far away from the motorway: splendid towns abound all along the motorway's route.

In light of that, I would not detour east along the Cote d'azur, as you then have to retrace your steps to head back to Paris. In a direct line to Paris you have Avignon, a short drive from which is the Luberon. Also the Drome region -- beautiful but unsung sister of Vaucluse and the coastal region.