Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need advice-Venice to Tuscany travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-advice-venice-to-tuscany-travel-350969/)

WendyLee Aug 23rd, 2003 01:24 PM

Need advice-Venice to Tuscany travel

We are traveling from Venice to the Chianti area of Tuscany. I was thinking we would take the train to Florence and then rent a car for our 4 day stay in Tuscany. Then, we'd return the car to Florence and take the train to Rome where we'll stay a few days before departing. Is there a car rental place close to the train station? Is there a smarter way to do this?

eschule Aug 23rd, 2003 01:38 PM

You may get a diferent opinion than me on this, but here goes. Assuming you are not staying in Florence and merely using it as a train pickup and car dropoff point why even go there?

I would rent the car in Venice and drive to where you are staying in chianti and then drive on to rome and drop it off there. (bear in mind I have never actually driven into rome). Backtracking from Chianti to Florence solely to catch a train seems unneccessary to me and will probably cost you a few hours between driving back, dropping off the car and waiting for the next train.

I also loved driving in Italy so I am biased.

eschule Aug 23rd, 2003 01:41 PM

Also just realized that the additional fee the car company charges for dropping in a different city will probably be the same as your train tickets from Florence to Rome.

dickv Aug 23rd, 2003 07:55 PM

Good evening, WendyLee
I would second the suggestion of renting your car in Venice and driving
south to Florence. The drive between
Venice and Bologna is flat land autostrada but the most senic drive is
from Bologna to Firenze over the Autostrada del Sole...Al this providing you are not staying in Firenze, it is a
town served better without automobile.
Richard of LaGrange Park. IL>

WendyLee Aug 24th, 2003 10:39 AM

Thanks for your reply. We sort of want the "train" experience in Italy - our 10 year old son loves trains. Perhaps we should take the train from Venice to Florence, get the car and then return it in Rome?

bobthenavigator Aug 24th, 2003 10:47 AM

I definately do not agree with driving that route. Train to Florence for your car--there is no fee for different cities in Italy--and then drop it in either Chiusi or Orvieto and train to Rome. That will save you back tracking to Florence, and Orvieto is worth a 2 hours stop. Good Luck !

WendyLee Aug 24th, 2003 01:36 PM

Thanks Bob! That's definately the type of advice I was hoping for!!

NYCFoodSnob Aug 24th, 2003 02:24 PM

Take the Eurostar to Florence and it's not necessary to go first class. I hear 2nd class on Eurostar is quite nice. Spend extra and reserve your seats if you decide to go 1st.

The real scenery begins on the s222, south of Florence. This is a drive you DON'T want to miss.

Dick Aug 25th, 2003 05:30 AM

We returned our car in Florence before taking the train to Venice.

We used Hertz, located a few blocks from the train station. I did not see rental counters(like in an airport) at the train station.....althoughI may have missed them.

If there aren't any counters , then you will need exact directions to the location of your rental firm. Otherwise you could spend a lot of time wandering around looking for it.