Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice re. shopping at Heathrow airport.

Oct 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Going to Paris with tour group next month. Just got my itinerary and I have a three hour lay over at LHR. Since I will be struggling to stay awake, I thought I'd do some shopping to kill the time. Asked my grandkids for suggestions and the eighteen yr. old asked for a soccer jersey while the six yr. old begged for Harry Potter stuff.

Will I have the opportunity to find these types of items or are the shops limited in their goods like some of the US airport shops, selling mostly magazines and local tourist items?

BTW, I will probably be bugging everyone in this forum for last minute advice during the next thirty days, so my apologies ahead of time!

Dottee
Oct 4th, 2007, 04:18 PM

LHR is primarily a shopping mall and secondarily an airport. No worries. Only problem is if you have to change terminals, in which case 3 hours will leave you with not much shopping time.
Oct 4th, 2007, 04:22 PM

There is TONS of shopping at LHR - but w/ 3 hours you really won't have time for too much browsing.
Oct 4th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

The airline is British Airways for both of the flights. Doesn't that usually mean that I will be in the same terminal? Have only flown into LHR once before and that was my ultimate destination at that time, so I wasn't looking for shopping.

Oct 4th, 2007, 05:34 PM

Dottee, we were in Heathrow on Tuesday and yes, you can get those items for your grandchildren. Kind of expensive though, so be prepared to open your wallet!
Oct 4th, 2007, 05:40 PM

And when you do open your wallet, be prepared to have it emptied before your eyes. Between the exorbitant airport prices and the obscene exchange rate, you'll probably pay 5 times what you might if you shopped at Target before you left home.

There are airport terminal layouts showing all the shops at

http://preview.tinyurl.com/28bdzd
Oct 4th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Once I had an 8 hour stop in Heathrow and I remember loving the shopping. There are lots of the High Street shops - Harrods, Topshop (I think), French Connection, Body Shop, Tie Rack, Accessorize etc. etc. plus some others.

BUT - i do remember them being VERY expensive (more expensive than in the non-airport version of the same shop).

I dont think 3 hours will leave you with LOTS of time (between getting off one plane, onto another etc.), but you should still be able to have a quick browse!
Oct 4th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I did tell all of these spoiled rotten ones that I wouldn't have any money left once I got to Paris. But if their choice of a memory is from the UK rather than from Paris, what can I say?

Say, is there is any chance that I might find a blow up Alan Rickman doll in one of the shops? heh, heh. Just a little treat for me while I'm dolling out the bucks for the grandkids...
Oct 4th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, meant to say 'doling' not 'dolling'. Got way too wrapped up in the Rickman reference (blushing)...
Oct 4th, 2007, 09:21 PM

A couple of corrections:
- BA operate from both Terminal 1 (flights to the US West Coast, Hong Kong and Japan, some other intercontinental destinations and most minor European destinations) and Terminal 4 (most intercontinental destinations and a handful of high-demand European destinations like Paris and Amsterdam). Whether you change terminals depends on your itinerary and is clearly printed on your ticket or e-ticket. No point asking us.

- Although the airport's awash with shops, no serious fashion retailers have branches there. No Topshop, no Monsoon, no Oasis. OK, there's a French Connection in T1 international departures, but it lost all connection with street cred years ago. Almost all there is are those boring brands like Mulberry, Burberry, Horrids and Versace that no-one would be seen dead in in London any more: the ONLY retailer in the entire airport remotely in touch with what young people actually wear is the Ted Baker in T4

- actually, LHR prices are controlled at their central London levels minus VAT. If you think they're expensive, it's partly because you're too poor to afford our prices. But it's also partly because most of the shops (the Cartiers and Bodyshops) sell overpriced crap wherever they are

- You'll normally struggle to find a reasonably-priced football jersey at LHR, though they've recently opened a Nike in T4 and I honestly don't know what merchandise it actually sells since it looked so vile I kept out the other day: cheap football shirts are all over the place in Paris.

- You're departing T4, and the system allows you only to shop from your departing terminal. Apart from Ted Baker (and if you can stand the dump, Nike), the few other interesting shops are a British Museum franchise, a Smythson's, a World of Whiskies and - if you like their stuff - a Thomas Pink and a Hacketts. Otherwise, it's all the Swarowski/Hermes/Gucci/Escada yawnarama you get in every airport everywhere.
Oct 4th, 2007, 10:38 PM

<<< Doesn't that usually mean that I will be in the same terminal? >>>

No it doesn't - and even if it is you will still have to go the Flight Connections Centre, go through Security (YES one bag really means ONE bag) before you reach the shopping
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

flanneruk: Thank you for subtly reminding me that I should be searching for football jerseys and not soccer, as we call it over here, so as not to confuse it with that other sport (I much prefer your football to ours and I hope the trend here continues, but that is neither here nor there). Thanks also for the wealth of information.
Oct 5th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

alanRow: Unfortunately I have only received a preliminary flight itinerary that doesn't show the terminals. I wasn't even thinking that we would be going through security before boarding for Paris, but of course that makes sense since it is another country. Most of my flight experience involving changing airplanes is within the states which of course only requires boarding another plane. Thanks for reminding me of this (and of the hour I spent in Amsterdam two years ago being questioned by security).