We're two seniors, mid 70's and 80's, who love to travel. We have 30 days in Italy, most of it already booked, but don't know where to go or start in Tuscany and Sorrento. We are not driving, we'd be a hazard to the roads, so need advice on places where we can use public transportation/or take tours. We'll be in Italy Oct 7, 2014.
Here's what we have so far:
Milan 2 nights
Varenna 5 nights
Castel Rotto 2 nights
Venice 5 nights
Florence 3 nights
Here's where I need help - 7 nights Tuscany and Sorrento
Rome 6 nights
Where would be a good place to start from Florence by train/bus? I thought Siena might have a lot of day tours, folks here say it's a big city. Is Orvieto a nicer place to use as a base? We would like to spend a night or two in Orvieto and see a few scenic hillside towns . There are so many to choose from, but getting around without a car is the problem. I would like to visit Sorrento or Positano for a couple days also, then take a train (which one?) to Rome. We're budget travelers and would appreciate suggestions for where to stay at reasonable rates.
Thanks for your help.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Browsing Barcelona
- 2 Planning to visit Italy in first 2 weeks of Jan
- 3 land vs river cruise
- 4 Pubs showing NFL football in London?
- 5 Spain December/ January 2018/19
- 6 FCO hotel for late arrival?
- 7 Malaga Christmas lights
- 8 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 9 Help With Itinerary By Train: London, Paris, Nice, Florence
- 10 Croatia in mid/late October
- 11 Rome, Tuscany & Umbria
- 12 Looking for Good Eating in Valencia
- 13 ROMA Pass inclusions. - 3 days in Rome
- 14 Help with Venice Trip?
- 15 Dubrovnik
- 16 What happened to Sundriedtopepo
- 17 Lisbon neighborhoods
- 18 The Little Cyclades, Santorini, Vienna
- 19 [Crete] Trapped in Skouloufia? Please help!
- 20 Norte Dame light show!
- 21 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 22 Adventureseeker returns to Italy! As glorious and detailed as before!
- 23 Help with 11 night Portugal Itinerary
- 24 London - Paris - Amsterdam trip planning help
- 25 10 Days in Austria