Need advice on where to stay in Girona

Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on where to stay in Girona

Hello,
We plan on staying in Girona for 2 nights in October. There will be 4 of us. I am considering Hotel Historic, which looks beautiful & charming, but I have one concern. All in all, this hotel receives excellent reviews on Trip Advisor but I am concerned that the cathedral bells (which is right next door) ring on the hour all night and day. Some guests say the ringing bells did not bother them & they feel the beauty & location outweight the bells, & in some cases, the bells add a certain amount of charm. A few people have said they wouldn't stay there again because of the bells. Has anyone stayed at this hotel & what is your opinion?

Can you recommend other hotels in Girona? I have done some research but nothing else interests me as much & there don't seem to be many choices. We prefer something quaint, charming & "old European", not contemporary & sleek.

Another option my daughters susggested is the Mas les Comellas, a farmhouse, in Olot. It sounds lovely but I am concerned we would feel too isolated. I like staying in a city/town because there is more to do at night. Does anyone know of this place?
Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:32 AM

I am one of those who stayed at teh Hotel Historic and wasn't bothered by the bells. I love this hotel - the location, decor, staff - it's great!

I've also stayed at the Hotel Belmirall, literally across the street for the Hotel Historic. It's cute and nice but doesn't have all the amenties as the hotel Historic. Spent one night also at the Hotel Peninsular, across the river from the old town. It's where things are more "happening" at night but the hotel itself was very modern, without the old world charm.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Hotel Historic again.
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 09:33 AM

I haven't been but this place looks lovely, but may be too expensive/ far out of the city:

http://www.castelldemporda.com/eng/index.aspx
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

CathyM,
Thanks for your valuable information about Hotel Historic! That's very helpful & I'm still seriously considering this hotel. I'm waiting to hear back from them about their rates. Do you remember what you paid?

hetismij,
The castelldemporda is BEAUTIFUL!! Actually, the price for the garden room during their low season isn't too bad, $232 USD. I may contact them, but it does look like each room only holds 2 people, which means I would have to reserve 2 rooms for the 4 of us & that would be too pricey!!! Unless I tell my 2 daughters they can't come with us!!! Or make them pay!! But one is a grad student & the other one is just embarking on her career, so this trip is our treat!!
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM

I stayed in September 2007 in a double for single use and the rate was around 90 euros or so.

They have a great website with room pictures and prices:

http://www.hotelhistoric.com/english/indexenglish.htm
Old Aug 6th, 2010, 12:41 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Historic a few years ago and really enjoyed it. According to the personnel at the hotel, we stayed in the apartment used by Lance Armstrong and Cheryl Crow when he was training for the Tour de France. Our teenaged sons were most impressed. I do not recall the church bells being a problems and we were able to walk everywhere from the hotel.