Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need advice on travel itinerary (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-advice-on-travel-itinerary-458590/)

rb24 Jul 9th, 2004 07:56 PM

Need advice on travel itinerary

Hello,

Thank you to everyone who's helped me with earlier questions. I have another one regarding our itinerary for three weeks. The plan is below. Can you tell me whether the itinerary is too ambitious or doable? Thanks in advance for the help.

Arrive in London: Sept. 3 a.m.
Stay in London: Sept. 3-7
Fly to and arrive in Venice Sept. 7 p.m.
Venice: Sept. 8.
Take train to Florence late Sept. 8 p.m.
See Florence and Tuscany region: Sept.9-13 (staying longer since we have family there ie. free accommodation!)
Take train to Rome: Sept.14-15
Take overnight train to Paris. Arrive Sept. 16.
Stay in Paris thru to Sept. 18
Take train to Amsterdam Sept. 19 a.m.
Stay in Amsterdam Sept. 19-21
Fly back home Sept. 22

jamikins Jul 9th, 2004 09:45 PM

Hi there,

Would it make more sense to fly to Rome from London, then go to Florence and Tuscancy and then Venice. Then take the overnight train from Venice to Paris? It would be a shorter overnight train and make more logical sense to me. Or you could fly from rome or venice to paris.

Good luck!

RufusTFirefly Jul 10th, 2004 03:53 AM

You'll have only one day in Venice, and, unfortunately, Venice is one of the worst places in the world to visit for one day or less if you want to see the major sights.

The way the city is situated, the major sights are located, and the routes to those sights are laid out, you will be forced into being part of the daytripper herds. With more days you can plan your visits to the major sights around the herd's arrival and departure times--with only one day or less, you're stuck.

You will not get you full time and money's worth out of a one day visit to this most unique of all cities. Put that time and money somewhere else this time. Save Venice for another trip.

travelbunny Jul 10th, 2004 05:46 AM

..TOO ambitious..my head is whirling! You obviously have a MUST time for Tuscany given the accomidation (lucky you). would look hard at the other sities and decide which you most want to see. The comments on Venice apply to almost any major tourist destination. Id suggest 2 full days (MINIMUM) in any city and do not count a travel day in that number. I think the time in London and Tuscany make sense but Venice, Paris and Rome too rushed..though given jet lag even London is short.

ira Jul 10th, 2004 06:04 AM

Hi rb

I also agree that you are making a mistake with only one day in Venice.

Ditto for rome.

Ditto for paris.

You can fly from Rome FCO and Venice to Paris Orly on www.volareweb for much less time and money than a train.

I would drop Amsterdam from this trip.

I suggest that you

Fly into London see London
Fly to Venice and immediately
Train to Florence see Florence and vicinity
Train to Venice see Venice
Fly to Paris see Paris
Go home

StCirq Jul 10th, 2004 06:41 AM

I agree - don't bother going to Venice and Paris if you have essentially only one day in each place. As planned, this trip focuses far more on packing and unpacking and schlepping on and off trains than it does on actually being places and seeing things.

SusanP Jul 10th, 2004 08:52 AM

I agree that it's too short a time in each place (although arriving the morning of the 16th in Paris and leaving the 19th does give 3 days there), but does anybody else think these are in the wrong order? Seems like a lot of backtracking to go London to Italy and then back to France & Amsterdam. If you're set on doing all these places, seems more logical to go London-Amsterdam-Paris-Venice-Florence-Rome and fly home from Rome.

bobthenavigator Jul 10th, 2004 08:53 AM

I concur--too much. Overnite trains never made sense to me.

suze Jul 10th, 2004 08:55 AM

I'm sure it is technically doable~ but will it be enjoyable? Everyone has their own ways, but my re-do on what you posted would be: London, Venice, Florence/Tuscany, and Paris... skip Rome, skip Amsterdam (as they are geographically the most out of your way). Put the 2 days each you gain back to Venice and Paris.

With the current itinerary you will spend a large percentage of your vacation time - going to and from airports and train stations, time in transit, checking in and out of hotels, packing and unpacking. I "subtract" at least 1/2 day when you change locations to realistically allow for the time you are tied up with the logistics of moving about... time that you could have spent enjoying where you already are!

rb24 Jul 13th, 2004 04:25 AM

Thank you so much to everyone who replied.

I forgot to mention a few things about the itinerary. My friend near Florence is available near the beginning of that month so we have to get to Italy near the start of our vacation. And as for Amsterdam, we have relatives there we have to see...otherwise I would drop it from the itinerary altogether.

What's set is this: arrival in London on Sept. 3 and departure from Amsterdam Sept. 22.

If we do Venice in 2 days, will that work? We might have to forego Rome altogether. Right now we have 3 days in Paris and about 2 1/2 days in Amsterdam.

ira Jul 13th, 2004 05:18 AM

Hi rb,

>If we do Venice in 2 days, will that work?

Much better

>We might have to forego Rome altogether. Right now we have 3 days in Paris and about 2 1/2 days in Amsterdam.<

I would skip Rome this trip and add the time to Paris.

www.volareweb.com will fly you from Venice to Paris Orly for about 50E pp.

flygirl Jul 13th, 2004 05:24 AM

I've found a minimum of two nights per hotel saves your sanity. otherwise you really are, as said above, just doing a lot of schlepping.

I spent 2+ weeks in France/Switzerland last month, and I took a lot in but covered a LOT of ground - in some ways, too much. Last week I went to San Francisco for 5 days, and never changed hotels (obviously). although much shorter, I felt more relaxed when I got back from San Francisco!

suze Jul 13th, 2004 06:32 AM

rb24, Thanks for posting again with more details; yes that sounds a bit better and less hectic skipping Rome with at least 2 days in Venice. Flying into London & out of Amsterdam is smart planning too. Lucky you having friends & relatives to visit in Europe! Enjoy.