Need advice on trains and hotels

Jan 7th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Need advice on trains and hotels

We (family of five)with kids aged 17,13 and 4 are flying into Rome on a Monday morning(arr about 830am). I have been there before - but we went without any train tickets prepurchased or seats reserved. With kids this time and an itinerary through Naples I am concerned about safety and convenience (pickpockets and long lines). We know we have to get to Termini to catch the EuroStar Express from Rome to Naples - then the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento. Advice here would help for a novice train riding crowd. We also would like advice about hotels - we don't mind squeezing into 1 room to save some money but we might splurge and stay at the Hilton in Sorrento (we have 1 free night from HH points)paying for two nights. Then we will stay at Mami Camilla for 2 nights, take a cooking lesson, then 2 nights in Rome before we return. Hotel suggestions in Rome are needed. We will take the train back to Rome, tour some one day and fly back the next day. The trip is in early April. Thanks so much, once I get this information settled - I might have questions about our planned itinerary. Sites to book trains? Necessary? What to expect?
Jan 7th, 2007, 01:51 PM

Just get both your Leonardo Express tickets from airport to Rome and Eurostar tickets from Rome to Naples at the train station at the airport. Unless this is major holiday (like Easter), you don't need to prebook, and it's more flexible to buy it then because you can't really say what time you'll get out of the airport after a long flight.

Then buy the Circumvesuviana ticket to Sorrento after you get to Naples.

From Rome to Naples, there are some Eurostar Alta Velocita trains that take only 1:27, but they only run every 2 or 3 hours. There's still hourly Eurostar Italia trains that take just about 20 minutes longer. Better to just wait until you get to the station at Rome airport to figure out which train to get on.
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I am concerned about our return to Rome - It will be Easter weekend. Any suggestions on staying near airport but near some transportation around the city to see sights. Thanks
Jan 8th, 2007, 04:15 AM
ira

Hi M,

Train schedules and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com.

I think that you are going to need two rooms.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn EUR Parc Medici. It has free shuttle bus service into the city and to the airport.

Jan 9th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

We have found a quad room in Rome at the Albergo Cesari wih free breakfast and a $50 shuttle to the airport. Their location seems to be good for a few sites. Any experience there? Thank you.