Need advice on Paris apartment narrowed down to 2 choices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, our first trip to Paris (and Europe for that matter) and in our honeymoon. We have decided to rent an apartment for our stay and managed to narrow it down to 2 choices. We are both in our early 30s so walking is not really an issue to us either way. We will be flying in fairly late from Spain the night we check in, and definitely safety is a major concern of ours. Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated as well.

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_259.htm

www.parisbestlodge.com/cerisaie.html

Many thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:17 AM

They're both great locations; nice looking flats. I'd opt for the one with the proper bedroom myself. But I'm old....
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:44 AM

Both are good locations. And I just wanted to add that safety in central Paris shouldnt be a major concern. Just take the normal precautions you would in any city and enjoy yourself!

Happy Travels!
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 12:58 AM

Both locations are very good though I prefer the Marais . I do not care for the steps leadng to the bedroom of the Marais apt., looks like an accident waiting to happen.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! I was thinking tha tthe lof t was cute, but suddenly realized that I have to go up a steep flight of stairs every single night. Thanks again!
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 01:38 AM

I can only see one comfortable chair in the Marais apartment. Also wonder where the stairs which appear to go down go.

I'd choose he first apartment, even though it has no elevator.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 02:55 AM

>>Also wonder where the stairs which appear to go down go. <<

I'm guessing, to the kitchen and bathroom.

So that's the choice: walk up four floors every time you come back to the flat, or walk up (and down) two flights between bed and bath, and one flight of stairs every time you want to put some food on the table (unless the kitchen is somehow squeezed in behind the computer space, through the double doors in the living room).
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

the way Patrick put it made my decision that much easier. Thanks all for the input. I have made reservations already. I will make a trip report when we get back. =) Really looking forward to our trip now.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM

Climbing stairs wouldn't bother me, unless it's stairs in the middle of the night. I wouldn't want to do that- but the second one is a cute space.
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:17 PM

Wonder which one you chose? I also wonder if there's any headroom over the bed up in the loft?
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 04:26 PM

Well the first apartment does have AC - but it is quite small (there is no sofa in the LR - just a love seat) and it is a Fifth floor walk-up (called 4th floor in the european mode) which can get old.

The second apartment is even smaller - and while is has AC so you can keep the windows shut, it is on the ground floor. I'm not sure if all the windows open onto a courtyard or onto the street - and security might be an issue if there are no gates on the windows.

I would look further for somethng larger and either a lower floor or with an elevator. But - then, we usually get a suite in a hotel - so perhaps my standards are higher.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

We have chosen the first apartment - the one without the loft. Given our circumstances, these are the best 2 I could find. Both companies have had good reviews, except that there was only 1 review I could find on the first apartment specifically. The second one, has had a few good reviews as well. We initially thought that the loft was cute, but the thought of climbing down a steep ladder in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom wasn't appealing. Now, we are hoping for the best on our choice =). Will post a trip report when we get back. Thank you all again for the help.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 02:38 AM

Both companies get good reviews here on fodors. I prefer the apartment you have booked, they are both TINY so don't get a shock when you arrive. Happy honeymoon!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 04:52 AM

One of my friend have recently stayed at http://www.lodjee.com/antoine-1-bedr...aris-apartment. They shared it with us and finally chosen it with our advice. We preferred it for them because they were also traveling with a baby along with them and this apartment looks great from safety purpose and have good facilities from a baby holding family's perspective as well. Moreover its is having Plenty of cafés, restaurants, cinemas, bookstores, and trendy boutiques nearby and having facility for baby cot as well. So you can try this if it suits your needs.