Reload this Page >

Need Advice on Hotels in Rome, Florence and Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 02:16 PM
Karen Brown

My 16 year old daughter and I are going to Rome, Florence and Venice over Easter vacation and was wondering if anyone had stayed in Rome at Nova Domus and Condotti, Florence-Hotel Cellai and Venice-Hotel Rialto? Can I get your opinion on them?

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Rex

Karen! don't you know how many of us worship wour books and website? Actually, I presume that this really is your name, and you may not even know your famous namesake - - but take a loot at www.karenbrown.com all the same. <BR> <BR>To answer your question, I have been to the Rialto twice, and never stayed there. Once, I asked to see a room for four, and I was shocked at how small it was. We didn't book there. I also stopped in there (on another trip) to ask a question, and saw that they have free internet in the lobby. Used it very briefly (gave the guy at the desk a modest tip), and the atmosphere was very friendly. <BR> <BR>Depending on your perspective, the location is either terrific (very central, very convenient -- 100 meters from Rialto bridge) or awful - - tons of people there all day long. <BR> <BR>It may well be that a room for two and a room for four are the same size. If the price seems acceptable to you, I think you will be okay there. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 04:39 PM
jan

try the HOtel Galleria. Right on the Grand Canal at the Accademia Bridge. Great location, staff cannot be beat and the view is great. Get their largest view and your window opens on to the canal and youcan sit there and have breakfast in the am and wine in the pm and see and hear the gondoliers go by. I would not stay anywhere else!!! <BR>The Rialto area is the one we did not like. No offense but many Germans and German restaurants and very crowded. you can walk all over Venice from the Galleria. Make a point to dine at the Taverna San Trovaso in Dorsoduro. You will love Venice. I want to go back!!!

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 09:38 PM
Louise

Hi Karen, you can do a lot better than the Cellai in Florence. Stayed there three years ago - it was only OK. And while you can walk most places in Florence from there, there are hotels that are much better located. Also rooms facing the street are very noisey. Do a search here for Florence hotels and see what else you come up with. Sorry for the not too promising opinion.

Old Feb 17th, 2001, 09:46 PM
jonathan

Hi! <BR>Rome..well, no problem..if you get ther by train, there are many guys in green jackets who can help you find a hotel..i initially thought they were up for some scams but learned that they were actually from the tourism authority..unlesi got fooled...as for florence, turn left when you get out of the main train station, and there are many hotels there...the same is true for lovely Venice. Enjoy!

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Karen Brown

No, I am not that Karen Brown but do love her books and used them for other European vacations but her Italy choices were a little high this trip. Thanks for the advice, it is the first time I have used this forum and it has been really helpful.

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 02:33 PM
Reid

Hi - Chiming in for advice! <BR>We are an active senior couple flying into MXP, March 21, at 7:00 pm. We need advice: <BR>1. a hotel with easy access from MXP <BR>2. Is it adviseable to rent a car and drive in Italy? We want to explore to Verona, Venice, Florence and Genoa in 8 days. Travel guides advise go by train, but we like to be independ. <BR>Thanks to all who respond. Reid

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 04:11 PM
Jackie

In Venice, I loved the San Salvador (ph. 041-5289147 and fax 041-5208658). It is right near the Rialto bridge and it is very clean and the hotel staff is great. I am definitely staying there when I go back. In Rome, I recommend Hotel Giardino (+39-066794584 and fax +39-066795155). Also very clean, good price and terrific location. Good luck.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 05:55 AM
eleanor

Karen: check out the article in the most recent Conde Naste Traveler magazine on finding a place to stay in Venice. The pictures are beautiful. We just booked the Hotel San Cassiano based on this article. <BR> <BR>El