Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need Advice On Hotels In Istria & Slovenia

Jan 26th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

I have posted on here recently,and I'm getting some help, but not enough. Maybe its my wording.
I'm going to try again. We are flying into Trieste, and I was told to just drive straight to Lake Bled for the night. I need to know if we should use the Bled hotel as our base to see Ljubljiana and the Postonja Caves, or move to Ljub the next day? We'll have 2 and a half days in Slovenia.
Then we move on to Istria. Should we base our 2 and half day stay in Rovinj or maybe stay in Piran (I know thats still Slovenia), but it looks close on the map? We want to see some of the hill towns and some of the coastal towns.
Last question. We're going the 1st part of May. Can we just book rooms as we go, and hope we get good rates, or is it better to have reservations? Thats why I need this post answered. I don't need much in a hotel, except for clean, safe and my own bathroom. I also like being in the center of things, so I really need to know if I can wing it or if I should start getting reservations. Thanks in advance.
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:20 AM

We have stayed several times in Piran, at the Hotel Piran right on the water. I 've also seen good reviews of Hotel Max which is off of the water. We took a day trip down to Pula and Rovinj. We love Piran so much that we are going back again for 6 days this summer. If you do a search on Piran on this forum you may find some of my comments. Also try the same on Trip Advisor and Virtual Tourist websites (just search Piran). There's a few comments from myself and others on Piran. Rovinj is beautiful, but Piran is special. I'm not sure about needing reservations in May though as we were there in July.
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:40 AM

We stayed last year in Rovinj at Hotel Adriatic and loved it. Great location, service, a/c rooms, wonderful breakfast on the terrace (no elevator though, if that’s important to you)…in a town that truly deserves to be explored. We took day trips to other towns in Istria and the countryside and found that Rovinj was perfectly located for this.

We were there in September and had advanced reservations – the hotel has only 27 rooms and it was full.

Jan 26th, 2007, 08:52 AM
nbujic

Hi,
I have posted before:
Bled is small, move to Ljubljana the next
day. It is the capital, very nice spot and closer to Postojna than Bled.

Jan 26th, 2007, 08:55 AM
nbujic

P.S.
take a look at
http://www.slovenia.info/

Jan 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. One question, how far a drive is it from Piran to Rovinj? If Piran can be used as our base, that would be fine. I have emailed a couple of hotels and have yet to get any replies, so I need to have options. Thanks again.
Jan 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM

I think it took us about and hour and a half (but a lot of that was taking our time along the raod from Piran to the border. In a relatively short day, we went from Piran to Pula, toured the ruins there, drove up to Rovinj, had lunch along the water , and then went for a long walk along the water front to the south of town . We then headed back to Piran and were back in early evening. Hope this helps. We got a familiy suite at Hotel Piran for two adults and two teenagers. I enjoy having my rooms just step away when i'm catching some sun. Its the same room as we had before so I know it will work.