Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need advice on car rental vs. train in Italy (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-advice-on-car-rental-vs-train-in-italy-73488/)

Julie May 25th, 2000 08:41 AM

Need advice on car rental vs. train in Italy

I am new to this forum and have appreciated all the info and advice I have read helping us plan our trip to Italy in Oct. We are 3 adults flying into to Venice for 2 days. We want to rent a car at some point for the rest of our travls. Trying to decide to rent it in Venice traveling to Florence or take the train on this leg of the trip. Is there anything of interest to stop and see along the way? I know once we arrive in Florence, we don't need a car there. If we had one at this point, we would need to keep it parked. After Florence, we will go to Siena and S.G. We have driven in Europe, so that part is not a problem. We have taken the trains only once on the Cinque Terre and the train was 90 minutes late. Not sure if that was unusual or sometimes the case in Italy. Thanks for any suggestions.

Don May 25th, 2000 08:47 AM

Just got back from Italy and the Eurostar trains are superb. They require a resv. at an extra cost of $10 each but well worth it! We had lunch in dining car on way to Florence from Venice and it was superb! Rent the car in Florence and go to sienna from there.

Paul May 25th, 2000 09:20 AM

Julie - if you go to this web address, you can put in Venice & Florence, and it will map it for you: http://www.ShellGeoStar.com/home/default.asp?Lang=en Is there anything interesting along the way - LOTS! Ferrara and Bologna, just for starters! It depends on how much time you have, and what you want to see. You are correct that you'll have to park your car in Florence. If your goal is to tour around Tuscany, train down and pick up a car when you leave Florence.

Julie May 27th, 2000 02:41 AM

Thanks Don for your info about the Eurostar. I will have to see if I can locate the website. Thanks Paul for the Shell Geo Star site. It is very interesting.

Paule May 27th, 2000 09:20 AM

I second the advice to take the train. While there might be places to stop and explore, it's not worth the headache of having to park the car in Florence. Definitely take the Eurostar (Pendolino)-- it's an easy, comfortable trip and is less than 3 hours long. Pick up the car from Florence, when you are leaving.

Richard May 28th, 2000 01:42 AM

In April we drove from Nice to San Gimignano. You should consider--assuming you have time to spend a few days in San G or Sienna and tour the Tuscany region then return car in Florence. <BR>We stayed in neat Hotel Villa San Paolo between Certaldo and San G..Medium price but very nice. We also took half day from San G. and drove to back Pisa. (Didn't want to leave car with French license loaded with baggage parked in Pisa) <BR>After Florence for 5 days we then took a train -- Eurostar -- to Rome for Easter. <BR>A car in Florence or Rome is not worthwhile. Too many problems when bus and subway is so easy to use. <BR>Richard

Julie May 30th, 2000 10:19 PM

I easily found the Eurostar website altho could not find the Venice to Florence destination. I sent them an email and received a reply back today. They told me that Eurostar only services London to Paris and London to Brussels. Don and Paule, it seems from your post that you were able to use Eurostar in Italy. Eurostar suggested that I try raileurope.co.uk. This site must be down today. I tried both Netscape and Internet Explorer and could not access it. Thanks for helping me get back on track--I mean the train!

elaine May 31st, 2000 04:03 AM

Hi Julie <BR>I believe you went to the website for the Eurostar ("chunnel") train. <BR>What you wanted was <BR> www.itwg.com/trains/trains.asp <BR> or <BR> www.fs-on-line.com/ <BR>Eurostar Italia is one type of Italian train. <BR>

john b May 31st, 2000 07:37 AM

Julie, <BR> Don and Paul recommended taking the train, and I "third" that. First of all, why don't you tell us how long you'll be in Italy, what you REALLY want to see or do, (food, wine, shopping, history, relax etc.). If you'll be there more than two weeks, consider a train pass. If you're there less than two weeks, consider buying your train tickets daily as you go. Major cities will be no problem by train, as most stations are right in the heart of town. Your 90 minute late train experience is not a regular event. As you say, you've only taken the train once before. In my experience the trains are remarkably on time. If you want to see the countryside (hill towns, wineries etc.) a car might work. There are usually local busses, from train stations, to outlying areas. <BR> If you choose the train, don't get too caught up in Eurostar. Regular 2nd class from Florence to Siena, or anywhere else is fine, and much cheaper. If you have a pass you don't have to wait in line to buy tickets. <BR> Give us more details!!! <BR> <BR> <BR>

Julie Jun 3rd, 2000 08:54 PM

Elaine, thank you so much for the websites. I have been away for a few days and now have some time to do some checking. <BR> <BR>John, thanks for your posting. This trip will be our shortest one being only 10 days. Our prime reason this time is taking our daughter who was an art major in college. We are flying into Venice for 2 days. Then after reading these posts, we have decided to take the train to Florence for a 2 day stay. Then we will rent a car for the remainder of our trip. We will spend some time in Siena, SG, & Monteriggioni plus driving some of the small country roads in Tuscany. Food & wine are always an interest along with art history. Shopping will be secondary. I am pleased that we are not covering a large area for traveling so we can have some time for rest & relaxation. We will return the car in Florence & fly out the next day. I am glad to hear that our train experience last yr. on the Cinque Terre was an uncommon one.

Zia Jun 4th, 2000 03:22 AM

Drive. Northern Italy is lovely in October. With three of you, gas and car rental shouldn't be too bad. A couple of things to think about: <BR> <BR>Be sure to book your car OUTSIDE of the country-- in the States or Canada (if that's where you are). Prices are much higher if you try to get them in Italy. <BR> <BR>Do NOT drive in the cities-- it's a harrowing experience. Have a great time. <BR> <BR>

candy Jun 4th, 2000 10:20 AM

just wanted to make sure you know that montereggione is just a blip on your touring schedule--a great-looking walled village (i think it's the only, or one of the only completely intact town walls) with a few charming cafes for a lovely lunch on the terrace, a quick walk around the walls, a peek at the Dante quote inscribed on the walls, a postcard or two and you're done. there's nothing else. (there is a nice hotel with a sweet little pool, but i can't imagine why you'd stay overnight, personally.)