Need advice on car rental

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 06:17 PM
Debbie

Need advice on car rental

I will be going to Italy next month and was hoing someone could give me advice on whether to rent from the US or over there. We will be leaving Rome and then renting. Is it easier to go by train to Orvieto or Chiusa and then rent? Thanks for any help.

Debbie

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:33 PM
StCirq

Debbie: It is ALWAYS advisable to rent from the US in advance, if you want to pay the lowest prices. Call AuroEurope at 1-800-223-5555 or go to www.autoeurope.com (I'm not affiliated with them in any way - have been renting from them for 12+ years, though). They will give you the best deal and match any better deal you get elsewhere.

You decided if you want to drive out of central Rome (personally, even though I've been driving in Europe for more than 25 years, driving in and near Rome makes me lose my cool). I'd take a train to someplace close by and pick up the car there.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:36 PM
Betsy

Deb, definitely much less expensive to rent here in the US. A lot of Fodorites have been happy with Auto Europe, which has contracts with several agencies in Europe. You can explore their website, www.autoeurope.com and make your reservation on the net, or you can phone them (I like to talk with a human being when making a reservation). We picked up a car in Florence and returned it to Orvieto without any problems. It would probably be just as easy to take the train from Rome to Orvieto and pick up your car there.

Buon viaggio

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:37 PM
Betsy

Ya beat me to it, StC!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 07:40 PM
Ann

I second and third the Auto Europe way. We just got back from Italy and used Auto Europe with no problems at all. I used the website to look at what was available and then called them directly to make the reservation. Make sure that the rental car desk is open during the hours in which you plan to pick up the car. That was a problem for us picking up on a Sunday. The operator at Auto Europe had all the information and helped us work out a new plan. Happy travels!

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 08:21 PM
Dorothy

Has anyone used Budget rentals? Their prices seem a lot better...

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:33 PM
Debbie

Wow, I guess it's pretty unanimous. I will check it out. Since you have all driven through Italy before maybe you would have some recommendations of where to stay in Tuscany. I don't want to pay more than $120 a night. Staying in town sounds good because we can relax and not drive after dinner, but the farm B&B look like a lot of fun too. We will have nights in Tuscany. I appreciate the help from seasoned travelers I haven't been to Europe in over 20 years so I am pretty excited.