Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice on budget airlines for Budapest-Helsinki-Ålesund-Copenhagen

Dec 2nd, 2019, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

We're flying into Budapest and out of Copenhagen and have those tickets already for July. What we need now is to start getting inter-Europe airline tickets. In searching Google Flights I'm being told the following are the best bets and cheapest:
Budapest to Helsinki - EasyJet for $90 or Norwegian for $175 (Norwegian has better flight times)
Helsinki to Ålesund - SAS for $150 or Norwegian for $160
Ålesund to Copenhagen - SAS for $128 or Norwegian for $150

Are there any other airlines we should consider that Google Flights won't show?
Any reason to wait for those prices to come down or should we lock them in...I know that's always a gamble, just looking for past experiences.
Thanks
Dec 2nd, 2019, 11:06 AM

Be very careful with Norwegian.

They have had financial stability issues and they have let me down twice by cancelling flights weeks before departure. I would never use them again and suspect that they only honour the tickets sold if the routes are profitable, if not I suspect that they don’t pay for the flight slots. Life is too short to save money and be messed around by Norwegian.

SAS are a much safer option.
Dec 2nd, 2019, 11:21 AM

Easyjet don't fly from BUD to HEL, are these connections you are looking at? Did you check Finnair?

You can also check Finnair for connections HEL to AES.

SAS are the only airline flying direct AES to CPH.
Dec 2nd, 2019, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

The Budapest-Helsinki on Easyjet is a 10 hour flight because it goes through Berlin. So we'd probably prefer the Norwegian option for $175. But the Norwegian concern is something to ponder. I'll continue to search for other options and include Finnair in my search. Thanks
Dec 2nd, 2019, 12:27 PM

10 hours via Berlin is too much, check KLM for connections as well, AMS is very easy to transfer. Connections from low cost to scheduled can be tricky but I believe Easyjet have some sort of partnership with some other airlines for transfers. I've flown Norwegian a few times and have not had issues, they have or had financial issues but then so do SAS. But yes if your trip gets disrupted it's no fun but at least they are taking steps to try and sort things out. I've had issues on airlines with no financial issues too, cancellations, tech issues etc.
Dec 2nd, 2019, 02:47 PM

I use skyscanner for budget European flights, not Google. Finnair has direct flights from Budapest to Helsinki, but they are more expensive. However, you can get shorter routings than ten hours, but different airlines on different dates.

A more interesting option for the last leg is a flight to Oslo and the night ferry to Copenhagen.
Dec 4th, 2019, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
A more interesting option for the last leg is a flight to Oslo and the night ferry to Copenhagen.
That sounds like fun. I'll look into it. Thanks to all for the input.
Dec 4th, 2019, 08:13 AM

skyscanner and rome2rio beats google most of the time