Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

need advice on bringing/converting cash and traveler's checks..

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

our hotels take credit cards which i know will cost more because of fees but saves us from carrying mucho cash. usually we take about 1/3 cash and 2/3 travellers checks. will this work in croatia? when we get there i assume we exchange for kunas (not euros)? how about taking less cash/travelers checks, and relying on atm's? (never did that).......
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Forget the travelers checks. Fewer and fewer places are taking them. Every major travel writer and many well traveled people (me included) use the ATMs to get local cash. Don't exchange cash for local currency at an exchange place because they charge far too much. Get a CC that doesn't charge too much for exchange rate to use and use ATMs. That's the way smart travelers do it.
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:43 AM

During our last few international and major U.S. trips, here is what we have done. We use our credit cards (one for me, a different one for my husband - if one isn't accepted, then we have an alternative) for most purchases. Although there are fees, it is still a good record of your expenses and is best way to pay for most things. For cash, I set up a checking account into which I deposit the amount of cash I will need for the trip. (I chose a large, multi-state bank.) I only use the ATM card from that account to withdraw cash while on the trip. I usually find out where the most convenient ATM is at the arrival airport and withdraw local cash. We usually withdraw $200-300 at a time. I don't know about the convenience of ATM machines in Croatia, but someone on this forum may know if they are readily available.
Old May 25th, 2006, 12:08 PM
P_M

No smart traveler uses TCs as a primary source of exchange anymore. They are very hard to cash and when you do find someone to take them, the charge ridiculous fees. Use your ATM card.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:22 AM

Just a quick note on ATMs in Croatia.. at least in Dubrovnik and Trogir - ATMs are EveryWhere you look. We took 2 diff debit cards and 1 credit card as a back up. Used only debit cards and withdrew whatever we needed.. paid cash only. note: they dispense Kuna only - no Euro.
Old May 30th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

what is maximum you can withdraw each time? what is the charge?
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM
ira

Hi B,

>what is maximum you can withdraw each time? what is the charge?<

Your daily limit is set by your bank.

Fees are set by your bank. European banks rarely charge for use of the ATM.

You can usually withdraw about $300 worth of local currency at one time.

If that isn't enough, just do it again.

Old May 30th, 2006, 12:58 PM

I was in Croatia and Bosnia a decade ago and didn't have any problems finding ATMs -- it has to be much, much easier these days. Don't bring travellers checks -- just ATMs.

It is a beautiful country. Have fun.

Old May 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM

We took out 1500 kuna when we landed.. paid 985 kuna for 3nights Sobe, and had plenty till we decided to get more. Its a very inexpensive place to hang out.. dinner wont cost more than 100kuna pp.
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:32 PM
jefftkeller

As already noted, the ATM limit is set by your bank. If you think it will too low you should be able to get your bank to increase it and you won't have to go to the ATM as often or worry about running out of cash if you won't be near one.