Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice in traveling from Amsterdam to Paris

May 1st, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I are spending 3 nights in Amsterdam, 5 nights in Paris, then returning to Amsterdam to fly back to the U.S. We considered renting a car and driving but have never been to Europe and don't know all of the considerations of renting a vehicle and driving.

We are pretty settled on taking a train. I went to railsaver.com based on some other messages and priced out one-way (couldn't find round-trip) tickets on a City-to-City basis. These priced out at $566 for both of us both ways 2nd Class. Is this a good price?

We are staying in Paris at:
Hôtel Régence Etoile
24 avenue Carnot
Paris

How would you suggest we get from the train station to the hotel?

Also, when we return to Amsterdam, can we take the train directly to the airport? When I tried to select that, it said it wasn't available.

Would appreciate any advice and guidance.
May 1st, 2007, 09:14 AM

not a bad price as you could pay much more - several different price levels on the Thalys trains like airline pricing.

www.thalys.com for prices in euros or www.voyages-sncf.com - French rail site for similar.

In US i always advise BETS (800-441-2387) for any rail tickets - have them do a manual search for SMILYS fares, round trips that cost less than one-ways.

Yes the Thalys trains do stop at Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam on their way to the central station terminus.

But on a few days when track work is scheduled in Schiphol area these trains may be diverted and won't stop at airport but this is rare. www.bahn.de is a great site for schedules of this train - German rail site with schedules for all of Europe -easiest to use of all sights i've seen.
May 1st, 2007, 09:45 AM

You can book tickets up to 90 days in advance at www.thalys.com. To have the best chance of getting a Smilys fare, book as soon as the 90-day window opens. Here are the 2nd class fares:
Single (one-way) - 101 EUR
Mezzo (return) - 152 EUR
Mezzo + (return) - 111 EUR
Smilys (return) - 69 EUR

Print your own tickets and you're done.
May 1st, 2007, 10:05 AM

If you're packing light, take either the RER B or D line from Gare du Nord to Chatelet-Les Halles. Transfer to the RER A line and take it to Charles de Gaulle Etoile. The cost for a single ticket is 1.40 EUR. Or buy a carnet of ten tickets (10.90 EUR) or one of the available transit passes at Gare du Nord and use them. The best pass depends upon which days of the week you'll be in Paris.

Or simply take a taxi from Gare du Nord to your hotel. It will be a fairly short ride and therefore not too expensive.
May 1st, 2007, 10:10 AM

One more thing. To see the route I suggested, go to www.ratp.fr to download and print a Metro/RER map for central Paris. The site is viewable in English.
May 2nd, 2007, 06:53 AM

SMILYS fares seem often impossible to get, even 90 days out but try then and be flexible on your hour or even date. Pick a midweek date for best chances.

And though they are sold only in round trips there seems to be no control preventing you to travel one way on a SMILYS fare ticket and throw or give the return ticket away - ending up with a cheaper fare probably than a one-way ticket.
May 2nd, 2007, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your replies and advice both for the train and metro shuttles. I have been on the websites as well as telephone with BETS and they are getting fares for me now. I am very impressed with the BETS service to this point.

Thanks again - will look forward to more advice.
May 2nd, 2007, 09:27 AM

I like BETS a lot but generally as they work thru RailEurope you may find cheaper fares on sites TimS recommends but you never know - sometimes RE can be surprisingly cheap but not often. And there just are not many SMILYS fares available anyway and none even on some trains even 90 days out.
May 3rd, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

How do you get English in Thalys.com? I am trying to purchase tickets and all I see is dutch once you try to purchase.
May 3rd, 2007, 09:26 AM

I've bought tickets for Amsterdam/Paris on www.sncf.com
It remains in English thru the entire booking.
Leave the default as "Netherlands".
Do not buy the opt.insurance
If you find a Smilys fare, you can opt to print it out yourself.
May 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM

We did the same in March except started and ended in Paris. We purchased the Smily fare for 69 euros each, roundtrip.

If you can't figure out the Thalys site, in the search box above enter sncf and morganb. She has listed instructions on how to use the site.