Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice for regensburg germany travel!

Old Jul 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I will be in Munich in 6 weeks. I am taking my 70 year old father there to see his base camp in Rotz, during the cold war. He was there for 2 years. It will be 50 years since he lived there. I am planning to take a train from Munich to Regensburg but then I am lost... Does anyone have any suggestions, other than driving myself, to get to Rotz? I would like to hire a private driver, any suggestions where to find a legit private driver who will know where to take us? I have searched online and cant find anything.Please help an old man out! =) thanks kindly
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 09:24 AM

There is no place named "Rotz" in Germany (translates to "snot", by the way) - I assume you mean Rötz? If you can't type the o with the two dots, substitute it by inserting an extra e: "Roetz" is a perfectly correct alternative spelling.

Try another search on www.bahn.de with this spelling. Select "Rötz Marktplatz" from the dropdown list (the first option that comes up automatically is of no use, it's a bus stop in an entirely different place). Getting there looks a bit complicated, but I found a connection with only one change from train to bus in Cham.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

of course you know what I was refering to! I apologize for not knowing the correct way to substitute an umlaut. Amazing how smug your response sounds. Again I apologize for the misunderstanding. By the way, I was requesting information on a private driver or taxi type service. So if anyone would have information that there does exist this type of service in ROETZ, please help me out. Thank you, again kindly.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM

Searching Die Bahn I found the same limited connections from Regensburg through Cham to Roetz. I did notice that the Cham is only 26 km from Roetz and there is taxi service in Cham. I might consider staying in Cham, which appears a nice town, and catching a taxi to Roetz. You might discuss this possibility with the tourist office in Cham.

Cham:
http://www.cham.de/deCham/

Tourist Office:
http://www.cham.de/deCham/tourismus/....php?navid=301

Regards, Gary
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank youvery much... great advice... I will research connections to cham from Regensburg and then look into taking a cab. Looks like it will be an adventure for sure!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 11:20 AM

Regensburg is quite a bit bigger than Cham. I would guess that if you emailed their tourist information office, they could give you information on hiring a car with driver. It sounds like you aren't interested in renting a car yourself but the area around roetz is really pretty and I think you'd enjoy the drive from either Regensburg or Cham. There are also several nice looking hotels recommended by Michelin in the Roetz area. Most of them are well under 70 euro a night for a double. It looks like there are a couple of golf courses in the area.

I don't think quokka intended to be rude about the spelling. It's just if you look up Roetz in a guidebook that lists towns alphabetically, you would have a bit of trouble finding it as Rotz.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM

Ditto on what quokka and cwra said. No one in Germany would have a f*cking clue where you want to go if you tell them you want to go to "Rotz". If you think that it's "smug" to keep you from getting lost somewhere in the Bavarian Forest, fine. But you better adjust you own attitude if you want to get any advice in the future.

It won't be any adventure to go there by train + taxi, as any taxi driver will literally kiss your feet in Regensburg or Cham. It will just be extremely expensive. The Regensburg taxi authority says to calculate rides outside the taxi service limits with € 1.60/km. So you just gotta go to Google maps and check the distance to get a rough estimate.
A cheaper alternative than the "Yellow Cabs" would be hired cars w/ driver (similar to Hackney cabs in the UK). They are also licensed and supervised, but can only be ordered by phone (and not flagged down on the street). The tourist info in Regensburg should be your first resource to identify the most reasonable way to get to your final destination.

If you wish to return to Munich same day (which is perfectly doable), you probably want to take the train to Regensburg and reserve a "Hackney cab" in advance to pick you up at the station.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM

Is using the word "Snot" that frequently in one single post not considerd vulgar?
Have fun anyway in Bavarian Siberia.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 02:12 PM

If anyone is "smug" and arrogant, it's you, 7Karma7. Do not excpect any more help from me.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Good lord! I never should have posted anything.This is why I do not waste my time with this garbage. My guess is that you are all (with the exception of a few) a bunch of overweight people sitting in a double wide and have never left your small world of nothing! I got what I needed on my own. BTW google both spellings and both are correct. If I know what an umlaut was, you should know that I speak German. Have a good life you 'snots' Learn manners and kindness. Stop beating your wives!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 05:00 PM

Now that is rude beyond being "snot" LOL
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 05:12 PM

Here's a list with all the public transport incl. timtables:

http://www.roetz.de/index.php/lebenw...bindungen.html

There's even a bus to Berlin from downtown Snot.
Snotty greetings
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 07:04 PM

Amazing response from someone calling themselves "karma". Really, in all seriousness, I've learned today that I can throw away those language tapes and books because I know what an umlaut is. Umlaut rhymes with snot.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 06:17 AM

logos, for an American this area is more like the Bavarian West Virginia. That's not intended to be an insult to either place, there's just a real simple rural feel here.

I've only been to the Bavarian Forest area a couple of times but have always enjoyed that I never hear English spoken as a first language. I get to practice my awful German.

While on the subject of snot on my last trip to Germany, I bicycled through Schnotting on the Ammer-Amper radweg. It's a really small place between Zolling and Allershausen.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:33 AM

>Bavarian West Virginia
The "Bavarian Siberia" afaik originates from the army folks there. In summer it was warm, and awfully cold in winter and then there was absolutly nothing to do there. Very few people and they felt like being banished. .
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM

You perfect contact person:
Regnesburg Tourism
Irene Spiessl, Dep. Managing Dir.
499 415-07414
[email protected]
Wonderful city!!

Enjoy!
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 02:07 PM

Well, unlaut does not rhyme with snot; it rhymes with out. Honestrly, this becomes ridiculous.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:48 PM

Honestly, I think ridiculous became the point after the OP exploded. You just have to laugh, it was so silly.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:15 PM

This proves that "snot" is not on the list of Fodors forbidden words. sssnnnoooootttt. .
A zillion possibilities now. Just let me figure out of a few sentences I could use in future discussions.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:30 PM

Gads karma, whatever is your problem? Someone tries to be nice and help you and you call them smug. Don't think so, quokka was trying to help you and you owe an apology in my opinion. However, I realize you didn't ask my opinion. Gee, I am normally a nice person and mind my own business!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -