Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Need advice for buying wine in Rome, Siena, Montepulciano, Montalcino

Need advice for buying wine in Rome, Siena, Montepulciano, Montalcino

Aug 27th, 2003, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Need advice for buying wine in Rome, Siena, Montepulciano, Montalcino

I would appreciate any recommendations on places to buy a few bottles of wine in Rome, Siena, Montepulciano, or Montalcino. I have some wines in mind, but I don't know if it makes any difference as to where you buy them. I don't think we will be stopping at any wineries, but we will be visiting these places.
Thank you.
Aug 27th, 2003, 03:26 PM

I dont buy wine in Rome, but I know that there is CASTRONI that has a choice of wines, apart from lots of other italian products. There are several Castroni shops in Rome: among the ones in the centre of Rome one is in Via Cola di Rienzo 196 (near the Vatican, another one in Via Ottaviano 55 (it is not very large, I prefer the former one!), another one in Via delle Quattro Fontane 37, near Via Nazionale (famous shopping street). At Castroni you can find great freshly roasted coffee, italian food specialties and wine. They also have other kinds of food (chinese, indian and mexican, but a good part is italian).
Aug 27th, 2003, 04:37 PM

There are a multitude of wonderful wine shops and enotecas in each of the cities. I think you would be wasting your time trying to find recommendations for just one. And don't go with too many preconceived ideas about what you are going to buy. Let the wine merchant tell you what are the best he has to offer. We've never been steered wrong.
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:46 PM

There are dozens of good wine shops in these villages. My fav is at the fortezza in Montalcino. We will be back there in mid-Oct. to buy some brunello.
Aug 27th, 2003, 11:36 PM

I'm with Donna - there are so many possibilities that the best place - and the most fun - may well be the one you stumble upon yourself. It's hard to go wrong, particularly in the last two areas.
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:14 AM

I agree with not preplannig what store to buy your wine.

I would add, however, to only buy wine from a shop that allows tastings. Even if you choose to buy a wine that you didn't taste, your comments about the wines you tasted will assist the merchant in selecting the right wine for you.

Besides, it enhances the experience to linger and talk wine with the shopkeeper.
Aug 28th, 2003, 07:08 AM

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/food/w...n_brunello.htm

Here is another. Note the links to buying wine as well.
Aug 28th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions. It is my husband's hope to find some Super Tuscans.
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:45 PM

"My fav is at the fortezza in Montalcino."

I agree with Bob. We just drank a '94 Brunello last night that we purchased at the fortezza in 2001 to toast a friend of ours upcoming wedding and honeymoon in Italia. It's fun to go to the top of the fortress, too.

Search this Thread