Reload this Page >

Need advice Family Lyon / or Dijon 5 days

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, and thanks in advance.

We are a family of 4 with two children 10 (lucy) and 7 (Harry) who wish to spend 5 odd nights after our Liore 7 nights on our way to Provence.

I have previously been to and around the Dordogne and wanted something a little different on the way down to Provence. The reason for Lyon / or Dijon is I thought it is also close to Geneva for a day trip.

So o great forum - If you were a family of 4 with those kids (and we will have a car) would you stay in Lyon or Dijon (or surrounds).... ?????

Ta in Advance

Shane
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 05:38 PM

Please tell us if you will be driving this entire time, or using a train for travel. Do you want to spend the entire time in Lyon or Dijon - or travel around by car in the area using Lyon/Dijon as a base?.

We spent time in Geneva last year, and also time in Annecy (2 weeks). Loved Annecy & hated Geneva. We liked other several other Swiss cities more.

We also recently spent 2 weeks in Burgundy & 2 in Beaujolais.

I would choose Dijon because there is more to do in the area surrounding Dijon than there is around Lyon - als because driving in & out of Lyon is difficult. Lots of castles around Dijon - but you've just come from the Loire.

Consider Annecy also. Kids might like boats on the lake & excursions into the Alps.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Another vote for Annecy!
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:52 PM

I loved Lac Annecy
Rent the video, Claire's Knee, and you can see how beautiful it is.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Stu Hi!

We will be driving from Liore so we will have a car the entire time.

Annecy sounds great, and the thought around Geneva was that from either Dijon or Lyon it is not terribly far

so Dijon is prettier and more child friendly (as in easier to get around) than Lyon... ???

Ta
Shane
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Both cities are quite nice. Dijon has a carrousel in the middle of the pedestrian zone. I think it may be a little more kid friendly. There is an historic "owl walk" that the kids may enjoy - along with you. Get the brochure at one of the tourist offices. Dijon also seems to have a lot of festivals on weekends.

Again - I can't see any reason to take time to go to Geneva. Lots more intereting stuff closer to your base - whereever it is.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 9th, 2009, 01:44 PM

Hi Shane, my 2 boys are about the same age (10 and 13) and a couple of years ago they enjoyed the National History museum and the botanical garden South of the train station. They also liked the Burgundian Life museum (rue Ste Anne). I agree with Stu, they will surely enjoy following the owl's trail and touch our lucky owl on the side of Notre Dame church (with the left hand!) http://www.travelsignposts.com/wordp...s-trail-france

If you can read French, check this website http://dijoon.free.fr/bestof/accueil.htm and click on "junior"
You can also take them for a nice walk around Kir lake (take bus 30 at the south exit of the train station on Avenue Albert 1er. or drive less than 10 minutes direction Paris)
If you come in summer they will love our aqua parcs, one called "le Cap vert" in Quetigny (East of Dijon, about 15 min from the centre) or Oxygene in the shopping mall of "La Toison d'or" next to Holiday Inn. Outdoor and indoor swimming pools, slides, waves, fast river...
Have fun!
coco
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

thanks coco

any other suggestion !!!

accomodation ???
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM

I may be too late here! But our kids love Lyon and we'll be there again next week. I would prefer it to Dijon after the Loire because it's more different - more of a real city, great old town where the traboules etc are exciting for kids, really fun kid activities - including accrobranches which is now our kids' favorite aspect of France - see link here:
http://www.fourviere-aventures.com/
There's a carousel in the center of Lyon too! There's a fun pool along the side of the river (piscine du Rhone), fountains coming out of the ground in some of the squares for other water play etc.
Annecy makes a wonderful day out - and you can drive up into the mountains (we go up to Grand Bornand) too.
Vienne is also great for an outing - only I think 20 minutes on the train: fabulous Roman museum, temple etc as Vienne as a big trading center in Roman times.
Lyon is very distinctive with the big hills and big views etc.