Reload this Page >

Need advice: day trip around Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:04 PM
Ana

My husband and I are going to Paris for the first time at the end of May (soon!) for 10 days and we'd appreciate any advice on day trips around Paris. I definitely want to go to the Val de Loire. What is the best way to get there? Train/bus/tour? Can we rent a bike when we get there? We'd prefer to be on our own so that we can truly enjoy the experience. Should we stay there for the night? If so, where? Which castles/towns should we visit? Where should we go for lunch or dinner? So many questions...Also, we're debating whether we should visit Giverny and Mont St. Michel. We both like Monet and I like gardens. Any suggestions anyone? Which are the top 2 places to visit around Paris for a first-timer/young/laid back couple? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help! Can't wait to get there! <BR> <BR>Ana Flavia

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:10 PM
Bob Brown

This question has come up quite a few times on this forum. If you did a search on Paris day trips, you might dredge up some the better responses. <BR> <BR> <BR>The train ride to Vernon to visit Giverny is fine. We left Gare St. Lazare about noon and ended up sharig a cab ride to the house and gardens. <BR>There is an earlier train, but it leaves at something like 8 AM, and I was not devoted enough to make it to the station that quickly. <BR> <BR>My wife liked the gardens because she is a garden person. I got tired of being jostled by the hoards of tourists from everywhere. If you go, I suggest rousing yourself out for an early start. Because of the timing of the trains, taking a tour bus might provide a better schedule. <BR> <BR>Of the excursions I have taken from Paris, the trip to Vaux le Vicomte and Fontainebleau was my favorite. I was totally captivated by the integration of design, engineering, landscaping, and interior decorating at Vaux. <BR>Andre le Notre, Charles le Brunn, and Louis le Vau were the architects of this masterpiece. Louis XIV saw to it that they were requested to build Versailles. <BR>Versailles is another option. I think Versailles is worth it for the way it can put knowledge of French history into perspective. Quite a few important events took place at Versailles, even aftr the monarchy was forced out. <BR>The same is true of Fontainebleau. Napolean used it has his Paris residence, so it was his executive office building during his reign. <BR>. A lot of people vote for Chartre and the cathedral and surrounding buildings. <BR>Others like the building and grouds at <BR>Rambouillet. So the list can get rather long. <BR>Maybe you can do what I did. I decided I wanted to see Vaux le Vicomte and I went, ignoring suggestions about other attractions. Now that I have seen it, I wish I had seen it sooner. So sometimes you just have to make a choice based on the best info you have at the time, and stick with it. Don't let some fancy talker convince you other wise after you have decided that Place X is what I want to see! Decide and go for it. <BR> <BR>

Old May 4th, 2001, 03:30 AM
Fred

You can do a day trip to the Loire with ParisVisions and Cityrama, organized bus tours. No real reason to stay overnight. You'll see a few chateaus and that's really all you need. There are many you can do on your own - Giverny, Versailles, Chartres to name a few. For more Paris information e-mail me - [email protected]

Old May 6th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Ana

Good info! Thanks a lot, Bob. I still havent' made up my mind though... I think I might go to Giverny <BR> <BR>Ana

Old May 8th, 2001, 12:19 AM
nudge

hi there, <BR>have a look at http://paris.nethotels.com/packages/front.htm <BR> <BR>they have over 20 different tours online bookable, and can pick you up from your hotel if needed. <BR> <BR>we used them to go to givernchy last september, and they were good. <BR> <BR>good luck <BR> <BR>nudge