Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need advice about hotel in Termini area of Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-advice-about-hotel-in-termini-area-of-rome-645356/)

margarita Sep 9th, 2006 10:01 AM

Need advice about hotel in Termini area of Rome

I'm traveling to Rome Italy on a last minute whim. The only hotel I have found available in my price range is next to Termini Station on Via Marsala. I'm female and traveling alone and unfamiliar with the neighborhood where the hotel sits. Can someone out in Fodorland give me a thumbs up?

Thanks, Margarita

LoveItaly Sep 9th, 2006 10:28 AM

Hi margarita, in relationship to the station where is the hotel?

My SIL who is a Roman (but has lived in in N CA for almost 8 years had a fit and a half when a friend of mine and I were thinking of going to Rome together a couple of years ago and she suggested a hotel by the Termini Station. For various reasons the trip did not happen but I decided that I did not want to stay by the station. My SIL said the south end area around the station is the worse. A friend of mine who was in Rome this last spring by herself told me she felt alright walking around there during the day but she would not have wanted to be there in the dark by herself and she is a very independant traveller who often travels by herself. So if you are going to be out at night it would probably be best to take a taxi back to your hotel when it is dark. So consequently I don't think you would save any money. Best wishes. Have a fun and safe trip.

Travelnut Sep 9th, 2006 05:11 PM

I read in some hotel reviews, maybe on tripadvisor, that the area around Termini had been 'cleaned up' lately... I've read so many, thought, that I'm sure I wouldn't be able to find it now.
Also read that once you get a couple streets away from the terminal, the environment improves. Still might see some homeless folks about.

Here's a good overhead photo of the area:
http://www.stuardtclarkesrome.com/mapterm.html

margarita Sep 10th, 2006 10:02 AM

Thanks for the advice. The Hotel Tokyo according to the website is directly across the street from the station. I haven't made up my mind yet but I have a ticket to leave on Tuesday.
Thanks again.
Margarita

wombat7 Sep 10th, 2006 10:13 AM

Last June I stayed in a hotel on Via Filippo Turati - which is on the south of the station - actually one street south. The area is fine, a little dirty but, with the usual big city caveat, it was saef enough. Was there as part of a large group and while people had issues with the hotel and the "down scale" nature of the area no one mentioned safety.

Apply the usual big city caution and you should be fine. I agree with travelnut's view that the area had been cleaned up somewhat - was there about five years ago and was nearly swarmed - luckily I saw them coming and was able to act accordingly.

ParadiseLost Sep 10th, 2006 11:45 AM

I've spent over 3 months in 8 trips on the southside just a 'stone's throw' from the station.

I've never seen anything that would cause me concern over safety.

Later at night (after 11pm) it gets a bit seedy. And you could have men approach you, thinking you're a 'working girl'.

Also besides my personal experience, I've never read a post in over 9yrs on the different European travel forums of anybody who has been mugged, assaulted, threatened or put in anytype of fear.

Pickpockets and somebody walking away with unwatched luggage seems to be the only crime I've ever heard about and that's at the train station.
And the taxi drivers of course :). Regards, Walter

kopp Sep 10th, 2006 12:53 PM

Hello margarita - are you still trying to decide?

Last March, we rented an apartment just around the corner from the Hotel Tokyo, on Via Milazzo. We were there for 9 nights.

While many people may say other areas of the city are more convenient, we found the location to be very useful to us. Each morning, we'd just walk through the station, hop on a bus or subway, and we were on our way! Very easy.

It is nice to have the 2 cafeterias in the station for a quick bite, and also there is a very nice grocery store at the exit to the station (downstairs), where you can purchase drinks, fruit, sandwiches, roasted chicken, etc.

The area directly on Via Marsala has a lot of cars parked on both sides, and there are people (young men mostly) just kind of "hanging" around. I was never approached or threatened in any way.

I do remember seeing some trash on the street each morning, which was unpleasant. But is that a problem? I don't live there, so I just tried to ignore it.

Lots of student tours were seen checking in and out of the hotels along Via Marsala.

We ate dinner a couple times at a Chinese restaurant on the street behind Via Marsala. We had been in Italy for 3 weeks by then, so we were hungry for Chinese. It was very tasty, and the waitstaff was very friendly.

Hope this helps.
Ciao!