Need advice about a hotel in the 9th arrondissement in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2013, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are starting to look at hotels for our fall visit. We have enough points to stay free at a Holiday Inn. Looking at the Holiday Inn Opera in the 9th. arr. Would this area be near restaurants or bistros? Is there a bus line that runs that way? Sorry to sound so ignorant.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 08:18 PM

That is one of the newest HI properties in Paris and has received generally good reviews. The neighborhood is not posh but is safe and there are plenty of places to eat in the area - not exactly fine dining but a wide variety of options. With a Metro station literally in front of the hotel and bus stops on the street it is easy to get around.
The other HI that gets good reviews is the one near Notre Dame on rue Danton. It is also convenient to public transport, both Metro and bus, and gets good reviews, too. If it is available I'd take it.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 08:41 AM

If you are a relative newbie, I would opt for the one on rue Danton. Central to everything in the guide books, and in the heart of photo-op land.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 09:01 AM

There are bus lines and restaurants in all of central Paris and the area around the Opera is very busy.

However, a lot of hotels say "opera" in their name and they aren't near the Opera much, like this one. Which is actually a good thing. That hotel is right near the Grands Boulevards metro stop, which is convenient and tons of places to eat around there.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 09:06 AM

oh, if it were me, I'd probably choose the HOliday Inn St Germain right near the St Placide metro stop.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. Some of the hotels don't have available rooms according to the HI website when we will be there (I'm surprised that Sept./Oct. is already booked). The other one that is available is at 23 Rue Damremont in the 18th arr. The reviews on tripadvisor were not very good about that one and it is further out. The one at Holiday Inn Opera in the 9th. arr. were pretty good and the metro is close. It would be nice to have places to eat nearby in the evening when we return to the hotel and are tired of walking.
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 09:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
September and October are very popular travel times so grab a hotel room fast.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 04:27 AM

I have stayed at the HI St Germain recommended by Christine. It is about 100 feet from the St Placide Metro and just around the corner from excellent bus connections on the rue de Rennes. Easy walk to Luxembourg in one direction and to Bon Marche/Sevres Babylone shopping in the other.

oh, and the hotel was fine, nothing at all like a US HI.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your info.