Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need Accommodations/Sites in Lake Como area (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-accommodations-sites-in-lake-como-area-111743/)

Blair Mar 12th, 2001 12:39 PM

Need Accommodations/Sites in Lake Como area

We will be in the Lake Como area for 2 days May 17 - 19, any info on where to stay will be appreciated. We are driving and will have just come from Cinqueterre area, and will be going to Venice as our next stop where we will be leaving the car and taking the train to Florence, then Rome, then Greece Peleponese area to wind up our month in Europe.

Rex Mar 12th, 2001 12:49 PM

Search Menaggio here, Blair, for my comments on Grand Hotel Victoria Menaggio. <BR> <BR>Grand Hotel Victoria <BR>Lungolago G. Castelli, 7 <BR>I-22017 Menaggio (Co) Italy <BR>Tel: 011-39-0344-32003 <BR>Fax: 011-39-0344-32992 <BR>e-mail: [email protected] <BR>web: www.palacehotel.it/fghv.html <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>

coco Mar 12th, 2001 01:40 PM

While Menaggio is lovely and the hotel Rex mentions is quite nice, there is vitually no nightlife there, if that is of any concern to you. (Somehow the "month in Europe" makes me think of my own student days!) Bellagio, straight across the lake, would offer more, tho don't believe the "discos" are open so early as mid-May.

Howard Mar 12th, 2001 03:20 PM

I can recommend the Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio (www.belvederebellagio.com). Email: [email protected] <BR>Rooms have a beautiful view of the lake, and the hotel staff is outstanding. <BR>Responding to Coco's comment, I didn't notice a lot of "swinging" evening activities in Bellagio. But, then, Bellagio is a place to go for relaxation!

Gary Mar 12th, 2001 03:32 PM

We stayed at a lovely hotel in Como directly across the street from the boat docks-a great location -the Allbergo Terminus. <BR>reasonably priced - as in many hotels in Europe,not all of the rooms are identical, so if you don't like the first one, ask to see another. We did, without any problem. <BR>To do -take the boat to (or stay in) Bellagio - it is beautiful <BR>drive a little ways around the lake to Villa de Este - one of the most famous hotels in the world. <BR>take the finicular in Como

Taylor Mar 12th, 2001 04:53 PM

We stayed across from the docks in Como at the Hotel Metropole and Suisse. Reasonable price - good breakfast - some bathrooms bigger than others. <BR>Take Hydrofoil to Bellagio for the day - great!

wendy Mar 13th, 2001 01:24 AM

I am not sure of your budget, but the Grand Hotel Tremezzo is lovely! ($250 dbl) <BR> <BR>The rooms have incredible panoramic views of the lake with great breezes or A/C available and can be reached easily by ferry from Bellagio to Tremezzo... <BR> <BR>The bar is a popular nightspot with locals...Club l'Escale. <BR> <BR>E-mail: [email protected] <BR>

alex Mar 13th, 2001 03:11 AM

Blair - we spent two nights at Moltrasio north of Como city at the Grande Hotel Imperiale, which although a Best Western Hotel (I know, not that Italian) was really good and off the main road, but still by the lake. Check www.bestwestern.com. Rates look like 190,000LL for the relevant days. <BR> <BR>Villa Carlotta near Tremezzo was beautiful and the gardens should be in full bloom at that time. Como city is bustling and good for an afternoon stroll. Bellagio is, I think a bit overrated - no doubt everyone will disagree with me but Silvio's (fish restaurant) and Villa Melzi gardens just south of thr town are big pluses!

alex Mar 13th, 2001 03:13 AM

Blair - I should add that the villas I mentioned are not hotels, but places to visit only. However, Villa D'Este - even if you can't afford it, is also a must for the gardens.

jane Mar 13th, 2001 07:48 AM

We had two delightful nights Best Western Grand Hotel Imperial <BR>Address: Via Durini, Molstrasio (Como) <BR>Price and amenities: $145 incl tax. Lake View, King Bed, full breakfast, check in 2 pm, check out noon <BR> Phone: 031 346111 <BR>We wished we had stayed longer! Check it out by going to bestwestern.com

coco Mar 13th, 2001 09:13 AM

Re: nightlife in Bellagio <BR>Howard, I got a good chuckle at the idea of "swinging" nightlife in Bellagio! I did not mean to imply such a thing! My thoughts were more along the lines of numerous bars, live music at the Florence Bar, outdoor concerts down by the icecream shop, dancing on the terrace at Villa Serbelloni or going to the piano lounge, and--the closest thing to swinging--the disco up toward Villa Melzi, which is a really "happening" place when open in the summer. And, yes, all in such a wonderfully relaxing locale and one of my favorite spots of all time.

Blair Mar 13th, 2001 11:24 AM

Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately it appears that our itinerary was far too ambitious (see Europe 30 Day Itinerary) and we will have to eliminate Lake Como and several other destinations. I'll get it right yet!

Howard Mar 13th, 2001 01:50 PM

Okay, Coco, now you're talking about the Bellagio that I know and love. (I wanna go back!) <BR>And, Blair, just make sure you include Lake Como on your next trip!