Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need a triple in Paris where we won't kill each other after a week (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-a-triple-in-paris-where-we-wont-kill-each-other-after-a-week-595000/)

BostonHarbor Feb 28th, 2006 03:40 AM

Need a triple in Paris where we won't kill each other after a week

Hello All, First time on Europe board (I'm an Asia board junkie). However, although I loved my recent trips to China and India, I am craving Paris.

My sister, niece (19) and I are going to Paris for a week from May 29-June 5. We want to share one room. I have tentatively made a reservation as Hotel du Louvre http://www.hoteldulouvre.com/ which seems to be a fabulous location. I have booked a junior suite. However, I know that rooms are really small no matter what they are called. Oh, for the days I stayed at the Crillon mooching off my parents...but I digress..

Questions.
1) Has anyone stayed in a junior suite at the Hotel du Louvre? Can three people who like each other on arrival spend a week and not kill each other? Yes, we will be out and about continually and do not plan on spending time in the room other than sleep, but still do not want to be literally on top of one another. (yes, I know this is Paris, just know there is incredible expertise on this board and you might have "secret finds")

2) Does anyone have a better suggestion for a great location and a great room? Regarding our budget. The Hotel du Lovure Junior suite via expedia is $425/night plus $95 for the extra person, so our budget is around $500-550/night. (a bit of sticker shock after Asia ;-), but so looking forward to Paris after so many years being away.)

I am reading all the Paris threads and your terrific suggestions for walking tours and restaurants. Can't wait!

Merci, and I appreciate your suggestions.

julies Feb 28th, 2006 04:16 AM

If you can spend that much money, you could get a fabulous apartment where you would have all the room you need.

Sue_xx_yy Feb 28th, 2006 04:22 AM

I agree, if your budget allows it, try for at least a two room scenario. You could get a double and a single and take turns in the single (total 2 nights for 2 of you, one person gets 3 nights total - flip a coin). Two separate rooms gives you 2 bathrooms - and it's the bathroom where 3 women are most likely to collide. And everyone gets a chance to 'escape' sharing at least part of the time. Downside is that to fit the same dollar/euro budget you would need to pick a slightly more modest hotel.

caroline_edinburgh Feb 28th, 2006 04:49 AM

Why do you want to share ? For that price you could get 3 quite decent rooms.

janisj Feb 28th, 2006 04:52 AM

I'd certainly look at apartments instead. And you could get a large, gorgeous one and have a lot of change from your $500.

Dave_in_Paris Feb 28th, 2006 04:56 AM

Slowtrav.com is dedicated to travelers who stay in apartments and other non-hotel lodgings, and has dozens of reviews of Paris apartments.

BostonHarbor Feb 28th, 2006 05:30 AM

Wow, I hadn't even thought of an apartment, Duh..! (as I said, I've been Asia traveling lately and that isn't really an option)

I'll take a look at the reviews. Any specific apartments that anyone has rented?

Lori Feb 28th, 2006 05:35 AM

With your budget I'd opt for separate rooms. That way you get more then one bathroom - 3 women 1 bathroom might be a little crowded :-) If nothing else go for 2 rooms (you can ask for ajoining or at least on the same floor).

I would not go for an apt. unless you like making your own beds and not having fresh towels everyday .. while that is great for some (and we have rented apartments in other cities) it is not for everyone.

BeachBoi Feb 28th, 2006 05:52 AM

BH.....You can get a rate of 380E for a Junior Suite for the 3 of you.That includes the extra person charge and breakfast for 2 of you.I stayed in a room with 2 twins and did not see a Junior Suite.I thought the breakfast buffet was wonderful.The rate above does require full prepayment and is non refundable but changeable.I hope this helps.

BostonHarbor Feb 28th, 2006 06:14 AM

Beachboi, where did you see that 380E rate? I didn't see that anywhere.

Thanks!

BostonHarbor Feb 28th, 2006 06:22 AM

Never mind Beachboi, found it. Many thanks. Goodness, I've already saved huge due to this board. Great company :-)

Nikki Feb 28th, 2006 06:25 AM

I have stayed in three different apartments in Paris, but all have been much less expensive than your budget. The three places I have rented from are:

www.rentparis.com
www.paris-sleeps.com
www.private-paris.com

The last one was a two bedroom apartment in the Latin Quarter. The other two were one bedroom apartments, one in the Latin Quarter and one in the Marais. The most I have paid was about $200 per night off season.

There are many threads here about Paris apartments. Try a search on this site. Some more upscale apartments have been suggested at

www.parisperfect.com

suze Feb 28th, 2006 06:34 AM

Wow- with that budget I would definitely spring for an apartment, or 2 hotel rooms, or even 3 single rooms in a 3-star kind of place. Seems crazy (to me) for 3 women to share 1 bathroom while paying $550/night!

BostonHarbor Feb 28th, 2006 07:12 AM

I just found two absolutely breathtaking apartments on www.parisperfect.com that rent for $571/night. I've written for availability.

We do want to do at least moderate luxe. I frankly didn't think about apartments having always stayed in hotels. However, since we are there for a week, an apartment might be nice. They have washers and dryers and wireless internet, so could be fun, especially since another niece is in school in Paris and could stay with us.

Again, many, many thanks!

chicagolori Feb 28th, 2006 08:36 AM

Here are a few more that have higher end apartments in paris.

regentsuites.com
chezvous.com
rentvillas.com
franceforrent.com

Many people use VRBO. com - all types of apartments.

caroline_edinburgh Feb 28th, 2006 09:26 AM

I'm with Lori - "I would not go for an apt. unless you like making your own beds and not having fresh towels everyday".

Lori Feb 28th, 2006 10:22 AM

For just 1 week I would not bother with an apartment if it were me .. also remember most apartments have only 1 bathroom. Paris apartments are small, I have relatives in Paris (7th Arr) and pictures can be deceiving. I know ParisPerfect are very nice apartments, my cousin actually owned one that was sold to that company to be used as a rental, however they are smaller then what you may be used to in the U.S.

SuzieC Feb 28th, 2006 10:30 AM

I was gonna be quiet, but fine I cannot.
With 3 (4 now?) young women in 1 suite with only 1 bathroom, I'd find that difficult no matter what the budget.
And while some of these apartments are truly magnificient, there are no "services" to speak of... no room service, concierge, room service...no mints on your pillow, clean sheets, etc.
Just to throw in another monkey-wrench, how about some of the apartments in Hotels?

BostonHarbor Feb 28th, 2006 11:00 AM

We're actually only three women (not all so young ;-) . The 4th already has a place in Paris with a family. She would only stay with us if we had an apartment with room.

OK, I am completely open.

Budget: Max $500/night Needs: good location, nice room (s), three women.

BTW, the Paris Perfect apartments are all taken anyway, so, back to the drawing board. Some other apartments that I looked at have complaints about cleanliness that would not be acceptable.

I have now cancelled my original room at Hotel du Lourve as it was much more expensive than other rates that were available(thanks to Beachboi's sleuthing) At the very least if we decide to stay there, I will get it for nearly $1000 less (score!)for the week. I have also sent a note to them asking about ajoining rooms.

Now, starting from scratch and will let you know how I do. I have been reading all the threads on hotels and have some good leads.

I sincerely appreciate all your insights--they are invaluable. If anyone needs to know hotels in India or China, I'm your gal. :-)

SuzieC Feb 28th, 2006 11:07 AM

My favorite hotel, the Hotel Relais du Louvre... has a nice apartment on its top floor - it has an elevator.
Maybe?