Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone traveled to Lognes/Marne La Vallee?

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 11:05 AM
Leslie Soltys

Bonjour!
My Mom and I will be spending 3 weeks in France in April. We will be staying at the Tulip Inn in Lognes/Marne La Vallee. Has anyone stayed in this area? Do you have any suggestions on dining or things to do in that town? I am having a hard time finding information on that area and have no desire to go to Disneyland. Thank you so much for your time and help! Merci!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:17 PM
clairobscur

Sorry..I don't know Lognes, and I barely heard of it. However,frankly, I can't see any reason why someone on a touristic trip would want to stay in this area, especially if she doesn't intend to go to Dysneyland. I even searched in my french guidebooks, just in case I would be missing something, but Lognes doesn't seem to appear in any of them.
So, I would ask : have you any reason to stay in this town????

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:36 PM
clairobscur

Well...I searched for the web site of the town. Here's the adress, just in case, but it's in french, of course :
http://www.mairie-lognes.fr/edito2.html

I checked it, and the only things mentionned on the "touristic" part of the site were the following : a church build at the beginning of this century,some old houses,a park, a wood, a copy of a XVIII° century castle rebuild in 1990 (I suppose it's not an impressive one). The fact that the modern RER train station appeared too on this part of the site made me think that there was definitely not much touristic stuff there.
Lognes appears to be a tiny village which became quite recently a little suburban town. I guess that going to Paris from there is quite easy, but apart from that...
Once again, if you have no specific reason to stay in this town, you should try to find another accomodation, IMHO.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Leslie Soltys

Yes, I know it is a bit "out there". Actually my Mom has timeshare and that's where she exchaged into. Oh well. I'm not the one footing the bill so I can't complain too much. As a little town, who knows? Maybe we will make new acquaintences. Thank you for the web site! Every little bit helps!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 06:27 PM
Alice

If you check the map for the RER on http://metro.ratp.fr, you can see that Lognes in on the A4 line between Disney and Paris. So you can entertain yourself quite easily by going into Paris, and even to Versailles, on a day-by-day basis. We haved used the Carte Orange pass for zones 1-6 b/c hubby likes to go golfing, and the ride from Paris all the way to Disney is maybe an hour, if I remember correctly.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 07:10 AM
s

Leslie,
I didn't respond earlier because I wasn't sure where Lognes is -- couldn't find it on my maps. However, knowing that it's close to Disney Paris, I believe the town may be on the train link to the Champagne region. I'm planning to make my first visit there for a few days this May, and I believe you and your Mom might enjoy it too. There are four major city/villages in the area: Reims, Epernay, Chalons-en-Champagne, and Troyes. There are three tourist routes that uncover small, historic villages and champagne houses and cellars. You can surf for more info at these websites (which I found through some laborious searching & surfing . . . there's surely more out there):

www.champagne.fr (get to the Eng pages, then click on "Web Sites" - lots of links)
www.chalons-en-champagne.net
www.marne-champagne.com
www.easternfrance.com/champagne
www.champagne-web.com
www.champagne-online.com

Good luck!

s