Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need a place to stay in Assisi, please help. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-a-place-to-stay-in-assisi-please-help-186539/)

xxx Sep 7th, 2001 05:36 AM

Need a place to stay in Assisi, please help.

I will be staying one or two nights (what do you all recommend?) and I need to know if there is a recommendable place there. Please include website or email address if possible. Thank you much.

xxxtoo Sep 7th, 2001 05:57 AM

See the search box at the top of your page? Type in Assisi Hotel. Go over to the subject search box and scroll down to Italy and highlight it. Then press find. Wait (sometimes for a long time) and you should get many many archived responses. <BR> <BR>Buon viaggio

xxx Sep 7th, 2001 06:39 AM

xxxtoo I always search before asking a question. So I did and nothing turned up. Thanks anyway.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Sep 7th, 2001 06:49 AM

Unknown quantities hard are to relate to. When you give your name, and also some facts like price range and mode of transport, then perhaps those who know the answer to your question can help.

gina Sep 7th, 2001 07:15 AM

Dear xxx, I stayed at the Hotel Umbra last year in Assisi and I would say it is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in anywhere. Great restaurant, excellent location, incredibly nice staff, huge breakfast. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. It was recommended in the Karen Brown Italy book.

xxx Sep 7th, 2001 07:19 AM

Bob, planning on going to Assisi from Florence. We are thinking of getting there by train and stay one or two nights.Price? moderate. I suppose $80-$110 a night and if possible near the cathedral. My name is Mayra. Thanks in advance.

xxx Sep 7th, 2001 07:20 AM

Gina, thanks for your suggestion. If you have website or email info. can you post it? Thanks.

Rex Sep 7th, 2001 08:18 AM

I havstayed at Hotel Umbra and Fontabella and recommend them both highly, Umbra has the slightly better location, but no elevator. Fontabella is really nice, and a bit closer to the Basilica - - they also have wonderfully convenient parking right at the front door. <BR> <BR>To xxxtoo: recommending a two-word search is rarely useful on this forum. If it's so easy to do, did you do it? and if you did and found (a) useful thread(s) - - why not top them or post the URL here? <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

MK Sep 7th, 2001 08:32 AM

We have stayed at the Umbra the past 3 years and will do so again next year(if they'll have us). Great place, great location, great people. <BR>Also recommended by Steves and Frommer. Ask for a view room. <BR>e-mail [email protected] <BR>Happy travels

Andrea Sep 7th, 2001 08:47 AM

When the original poster re-posted stating they tried & it didn't work, I tried "Assisi hotel", the most obvious attempt, and pulled up at least 3 threads. The hotels recommended in the most obvious post were the Umbra & Fontabella.

Billy Sep 7th, 2001 09:26 AM

Two years ago we stayed at the ...San Francesco, in Assisi. It is very small and some of the rooms are really small, but wonderful. It is an old monastery, good resturant, and a roof top patio, for a glass of wine at nite. From my window, before daylight, I saw three monks, from the monastery across the street, leave for mass. It was magical.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Sep 7th, 2001 12:03 PM

Ok Mayra, Now you are a known quantity. <BR>It is hard to talk to xxxxxs. <BR>There are 2 good choices in that price range. The Umbra is smaller and cuter and is in the middle of town. Try this site: www.caribusiness.it The email is: <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>The other is much closer to San Francesco, about 100 meters, and is a nice 3 star with 34 rooms. The name is the Windsor Savoia and you can reach them at: [email protected] Either will be very adequate. Good luck !

this is for Sep 7th, 2001 12:22 PM

Billy I am also looking for a place to stay and your suggestion sounds good. Please post email or website. Please

Marilyn Ham Sep 7th, 2001 01:35 PM

We've stayed twice in the Umbra. It is an excellent hotel and the people who own and run it are very nice. This year we stayed in the convent hotel as it was cheaper. We found the listing in the Bed and Blessings book. Both have good locations. Marilyn

sandih Sep 7th, 2001 04:16 PM

Try looking at www.vwenere.it for a list of hotels all over Italy in all price ranges. I stayed at the 4 star "Grand Assisi Hotel" just after it opened in 1999. It was really reasonable back then for 2....I think about $100.00 per night. Also, there's the 2 star La Fortezza that was about $60.00 a night for 3 people. Sparse but clean. The web site should help with other choices as well as the older responses on this board, if you can get the search to work.