Need a nice town for Cliffs of Moher

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a nice town for Cliffs of Moher

For Day 1 of my first Ireland adventure I'd like to fly in (Shannon, in by 10am), drive to the Cliffs (about an hour drive?) and stay overnight in the area. What else could I see the first day? The Burren? I thought about spending the second day on the Aran Islands and spend another night in the Doolin area and then on Day 3 exploring western Co. Clare while driving down to take the Killimer-Tarbert ferry. Any suggstions on places to stay and things to do? I've heard mixed things about Doolin. I'm just looking for a nice B&B. And driving times/tips would be nice too! I'd like to avoid B&B hopping and try to stay at least 2 nights in each place so there isn't a revolving door feeling! Like they say-the first night you're a guest, the second night you're family!
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:39 AM

doolin is the music capital of ireland! any pub has the best traditional irish music...b & b's there will be very nice, and you can also check out lisdenvarna (sp?) i don't remember the name of the one i stayed in...perhaps it had "island" in it, or atlantic sunset house"...the cliffs, and the burrn are all within a short driving distance.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:29 AM

We liked the Carrigan House in Lisdoonvarna. It is close to COM and also the Burren. The hotel (inn really) can arrange for tour of Burren and also Aran Islands--this is very dependent on the weather. We were there in late May and the weather cancelled trips to Aran. Allowee Caves are nearby also.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:55 AM

Shannon-Cliffs of Moher: maybe a little more than 1-hour. You could stay in Miltown Malbay (I stayed at Fitzgerald's B&B there: nice! They get a lot of repeat business), Lahinch, Ennistymon, Lisdoonvarna, or Doolin.

otto says Doolin is the music capital of Ireland: I wonder if he got that title from the Banner on the Square in Ennis proclaiming Ennis Music Capital of Ireland.

You might stop for lunch at Dromoland Castle on your way south to the Ferry
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:57 AM

Definitely Doolin! Great B&B's there...try Daly's...Susan is most helpful!
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:00 AM

Ballyvaughan is the closest town to the
Burren. Rusheen Lodge has received good reviews for lodging and for its breakfast. From personal experience I can recommend eating at Holywell Italian Cafe, one mile inland from Ballyvaughan.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:29 AM

Monk's Bar in Ballyvaughan is famous for its shellfish.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:55 AM

On our first day we landed in Shannon and went straight to the CLiffs. You could also go to the Burren depending on your jetlagg. WE had lunch at Monks and then checked into the Ballyvaughn Lodge(a B&B) Ballyvaugh is a very nice, cute fishing village with shops, pubs and restaurants. Perfect for our first Day/Night.
PS in DOolin the pubs(2) are not in walking distance to each other.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM

nedsireland...(a "she" btw...) ;-)

i spent my last night in ireland in a doolin pub with my first, and last guiness. although i will indulge again when i go again in may. ;-)

i'm not sure where i heard that, but i also heard kinsale is the culinary capital?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 02:38 PM

otto: I don't know what your (a "she" btw) means: I am a male septuagenarian. If you are in the vicinity of Ennis (Co. Clare) between May 22 & 29: that's when their Spring Trad Irish music festival (Fleadh Nua) wil be happening.

In 2003, I was staying at the Abbey Tourist Hostal just across the bridge: I stopped in Cruise's Pub at 4:00 PM the day after the Competitions had ended and there was an impromptu session that lasted until the sked musicians began their session (21:30). Some guy from North Carolina was the 'anchor' of the impromptu session.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know much about Ireland but for those of you who do, my mailbox today had the latest issue of Saveur magazine. Mostly covering Ireland.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:45 PM

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at Ballinalacken Castle Hotel (near Doolin but not in town). There are some castle ruins on the property and really lovely views. They have a terrific restaurant and an on-site pub.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 08:50 PM

Again, I'll tout a very fine Aran View Hotel...lovely and reasonable, around 90$ Close to town..in Doolin.

Stu T.
Old Mar 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM

The Holywell Italian cafe has relocated from Ballyvaughan to Ennistymon. It opened in Ennistymon on Friday 3rd March.