Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris to Copenhagen_last minute help with an itinerary!

Old Oct 11th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I will be flying into Paris at the end of October and have a return flight departing from Copenhagen. I love Paris and want to spend a few days in the city, but my boyfriend and I would also like to make the most of our 10 days in Europe by exploring new places as well. Our return flights are out of Copenhagen (he has to be there for work), so we are looking for suggestions on where to travel before Copenhagen. Scotland or Norway? Or Germany? Open to all suggestions, even if they are new ones! While we want to see new places, we also don't want to spread ourselves too thin with too much travel.

All help is appreciated! We haven't even booked lodging yet...this is coming together very last minute because of the last minute notice for the work trip.

Thank you for your tips! We are open to any mode of transportation (could rent a car as well).
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 12:01 AM

Split between Paris and Copenhagen. Copenhagen is great for a few days, so is Paris. 10 days isn't much time to cram in another city, but you might consider Hamburg, or Göteborg.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 08:22 AM
mjs

Amsterdam
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 08:27 AM

Amsterdam with an overnight train to Copenhagen, if it is still running.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 08:39 AM

No overnight train to Copenhagen I think was scrubbed few years ago - never was direct but from Germany but those were cancelled TMK. I'd do maybe 4 nights in Paris and 3 in transit and 3 in Copenhagen. - Yes Hamburg would be nice stop - Amsterdam is great but then you'd want to fly to Copenhagen as would literally take all day by train. Endless possibilities - for lots on trains and where to go with them check www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www/ricksteves. Cheap flights- Cheap Flights with low cost, charter and other airlines: find cheap air tickets or skycanner.net (or com?).
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 09:46 AM

In July 2016, my wife and I found going from Hamburg to Copenhagen by train an ordeal, especially with luggage, as we had to haul our bags up and down many stairs when changing trains at the border. Things may be different now. Both Hamburg and Amsterdam are certainly worth seeing. But, Berlin, Oslo, and Stockholm are great destinations, as well. If it were me, I would stick to just Paris and Copenhagen. If you wanted to add a third city, I would pick the one that takes up the least amount of travel time as ten days is really not much time.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 10:09 AM

Now are some direct trains Hamburg to Copenhagen - trains go on ferry between Germany and Denmark - no changes and takes 5 hours.
Old Oct 12th, 2018, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by billandcindy
In July 2016, my wife and I found going from Hamburg to Copenhagen by train an ordeal, especially with luggage, as we had to haul our bags up and down many stairs when changing trains at the border. Things may be different now. Both Hamburg and Amsterdam are certainly worth seeing. But, Berlin, Oslo, and Stockholm are great destinations, as well. If it were me, I would stick to just Paris and Copenhagen. If you wanted to add a third city, I would pick the one that takes up the least amount of travel time as ten days is really not much time.

There's a direct ICE service now. Amsterdam is really an outlier if traveling to Copenhagen.
Old Oct 13th, 2018, 06:37 AM

I think that 5 days in Paris and 5 in Copenhagen may be best - it takes so long to go by train to Hamburg most of a day then again another day from Hamburg to Copenhagen. Do day trips from each - especially Copenhagen is great for that. Fly between them. If you had more time you could hit some nice places en route including Amsterdam.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 09:23 AM

I don't consider 10 days too little to go to more than 2 cities, I do that all the time (visit more places than that). I like seeing more places, also, on my trips to Europe. It isn't clear to me if you want to spend any time in COpenhagen at all, the talk is about work and "having" to be there, so that part is a mystery to me. If not, that leaves you 10 days to do Paris and some other place. If the BF has to work in Copenhagen and is flying out with you, as stated, it seems to me how much time he has to work in Copenhagen is pretty important.

The problem is it would have made more sense probably to fly into some other city that you wanted to explore, then go to Paris and then fly from Paris to Copenhagen (Easyjet has direct flights between those). Because you can't go to Scotland easily after Paris and before COpenhagen, it's too far away. I don't know why Norway is mentioned. It also doesn't really make sense as it is north of Copenhagen. I don't know if there is a strong desire to see it or iot was just mentioned because it's in the general area.

I like Easyjet a lot so have a preference for doing what is easy for their bookings and for that, it would be Switzlerland as they have direct flights from both Basel and Geneva to Copenhagen. And Switzerland isn't that long or difficult to get to from Paris. I haven't been there in October so not sure about that, but that would be do-able (Paris, Switzerland then fly to CPH). But if one has no interest in Switzerland that obviously wouldn't work. London would of course be an easy choice also. Easyjet also flies from LGW to CPH and of course you can easily get there from Paris by train in a few hours. If one has never been there before, I'd probably do that unless you prefer to see Switzerland. I know London may not seem as exotic as some other places in Europe, but if you've never been tghere, I'd think you might want to see it.
Old Oct 14th, 2018, 10:03 AM

Yes London-Paris fly to Copenhagen could work. 4-4-2 maybe but try for a few more days.