Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need a luxe hotel in Rome for a long weekend

Oct 19th, 2001, 12:30 PM
mce

Looking for a nice hotel in a central area for 3 people in Rome. Like a high end recommendation. Going in mid November. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Oct 19th, 2001, 12:49 PM
Deb

Best hotels are the Hotel Eden, Hotel De Russie and St. Regis Grand. I book these for clients so I know..........

Oct 19th, 2001, 12:52 PM
Deb

Ooops, forgot about the new Hotel Sofitel Roma. Very nice as well.

Oct 19th, 2001, 12:54 PM
Travler

I usually stay at the Star Metropole in Rome. It is a high end business hotel similar to very nice Hyatt, Sheraton, or Mariott in the US. Can say the it has wonderfully unusally or unique atmosphere, but rooms are larger than average and all the amenties of a good american hotel plus centrally located.

Oct 19th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Traveler

Whoops! That's CAN"T say that it has unusual or unique atmospere.

Oct 19th, 2001, 01:10 PM
coco

I'm a big fan of The Hotel Forum. Not sure how many rooms you need for 3 people, but they have some rooms which can be configured as a large 2 twin-bed room adjacent to a slightly smaller room with double bed, bath in each, behind their own additional door to the corridor. The end rooms have the best views out onto the Trajan Forum. Great rooftop restaurant (doubles as breakfast room) with views of Forums and Colessium (sp). Have stayed at Eden, Hassler, and one other high end hotel that I have temporarily forgotten the name of--all very nice but something special about the Forum that has lured me back for all my most recent visits to Rome.

Oct 19th, 2001, 03:51 PM
John G

Please, everyone knows that the Hassler is the best hotel in Roma.

Oct 19th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Surlok

John G,

Sorry to say, it's not. Both, De Russie and Grand are the best hotels in town by now, although the Grand's location is lousy for sight seeing, since is mostly business oriented.

Surlok

Oct 19th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Dean

Rather than stay in a hotel, try this appartment. Virginia Belasario is the rental agent. Its in Trastevere just by the Ponte Sixto. Great location walkable to Campo di Fiori, P Navona and the Parthenon. Cab or walk to the vatican. Luxurious place, great kitchen and bathroom. One bedroom with folding beds in the huge living room. It has a tiny balcony. Not quiet, noise from the piazza but its real and in a great location. Plus you get a feel for a real neighborhood with real Italians

http://www.1001-villa-holidaylets.com/

go to property 1740

Oct 19th, 2001, 04:31 PM
grandma

Check out the Raphael near the Piazza Navonna.

Oct 19th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Surlok

Helooo??? What does high end mean?? I'm confused.. I though it was the best.. Am I wrong??

Apartments are fine, when someone is traveling with family, on a tight budget, or intending to stay longer in a city, but if I got it right, the OP is asking about a De Luxe hotel, for a long weekend...Besides, Trastevere is fun, but there's nothing in this De Luxe spectrum there..

Dean, are you trying to advertise ?? I've read you posting twice about this (and another one in Venice) apartment lately.. Otherwise, accept my apologies..

Surlok

Oct 19th, 2001, 07:10 PM
Surlok

John G(ripes),

I don't have a pedigree, that I know of, nor I stayed at the Hassler, or at the de Russie, but visited them both recently for that matters, when I was in Rome three months ago. I have some "racée" Italian friends, living in Milan, that fly to Rome and stay there often. Believe me, the Hassler had its days, and the best hotels in town now are those two, de Russie and Grand, period.

BTW, John, you posted something on the wrong thread: you wrote about gelatterie on a thread with the subject " Is it better the second time around?".
Maybe you should paste it to the right thread, so people looking for gelatti can benefit from the insightful info provided.

Regards,

Surlok

Oct 19th, 2001, 07:15 PM
John G

Dear Surlock: OK, we don't want to have two queens getting into a cat fight. I'll take your word for it, Mary.

Oct 20th, 2001, 08:16 AM
voter

I second that.

Oct 20th, 2001, 08:50 AM
dick

The Marriott Grand FLora is very nice, great location. Get a room overlooking the park.

Oct 20th, 2001, 08:56 AM
richard j vicek

Goodorning, Moe
Have stayed once each at the Flora and
the Forum, loved both and would return
to them should we return to Rome..
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...

Oct 20th, 2001, 07:04 PM
topping

this is typical

Oct 20th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Dean

surlok

one of the great things about free speech is that you are free to have an opinion just as I am. You seem to think you need to correct other posters (ie John on Gelato). Yes you do owe me an appology as I am in no way connected to the places I have reccomended. I just have enjoyed them and, heaven forbid, let others know about them too!

Yes I know Trastevere is not the most de Luxe portion of Rome but this apartment is very luxurious with a better bath than I have had in many a very expensive hotel.

Oct 20th, 2001, 07:46 PM
Listen

these queens are trying to take over. They give the rest of us a bad name.

Oct 20th, 2001, 07:48 PM
anon lurker

I also see that they are keeping the regular travel posters away. Can someone spray them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO