Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   need a little more help for Paris please all you travel gurus (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-a-little-more-help-for-paris-please-all-you-travel-gurus-315759/)

oz May 11th, 2003 12:26 PM

need a little more help for Paris please all you travel gurus

Well thanks for advice from all who have written.
However unfortunately the favourites are not available, Arenes,hotel grandes ecoeles,and a couple of others.
So could you perhaps suggest any other good choices in the Latin Quarter still if possible.
I have had one affirmative reply from the hotel de L'Esperance can anyone give me information about this one?

Many thanks
oz

Wayne May 11th, 2003 12:48 PM

Have you tried the web site www.ParisHotels.com ? My two suggestions, which are more or less in the same range as your unavailable choices, are the Hotel La Louisiane or La Perle. Good luck.

mclaurie May 11th, 2003 01:23 PM

Oz,

First, you need to restate what you're looking for (price & area) for those who haven't read your other posts. My next suggestion is to go to Fodor's hotel section for Paris, click Latin Quarter (which I gather is where you want to be) & look at the hotels listed. The Hotel Saint Jacques on Rue Des Ecoles has a room (#25) with a balcony & view of Notre Dame. This is where the movie Charade was shot. Familia and Jardin Des Luxembourg also sound good. None of thsee places have a/c.

CarolLA May 11th, 2003 02:18 PM

When are you going? That makes a big difference. I am paying more than I usually pay for my hotels in Paris because I booked the trip 21 days in advance which meant my normal less expensive hotels were sold out!

oz May 12th, 2003 05:09 AM

hi there all,

THanks again for advice and interest.
We now have two fair choices I think Residence Monge.or Hotel De L'Esperance, not quite sure which to go for, any help would be great on chosing. We are in Paris from the 4th June to the 9th, and yes the higher priced time, just lucky I guess.Ha!

elaine May 12th, 2003 05:13 AM

HI
I'm pretty sure that the Monge and the Esperance have been praised often here.
Try doing a search on either at the top of your screen where the fodors search function is.

pumpkin May 12th, 2003 05:17 AM

I stayed at Hotel Monge for one night and found it to be very roomy, and clean. It backed to an area where soccer was being played which we enjoyed. Such happy sounds!

Fortunately, I did save my e-mail showing what my confirmed price was, as Madame was going to charge me 6Euros more.

Convenient to metro and walking distance to Notre Dame, and all of that.

francophile03 May 12th, 2003 05:22 AM

Hotel de l'Esperance is also a good choice. I've read nothing but praises for the owners, the location, and the hotel itself. I believe it was featured in Budget Travel last year.

sirod May 12th, 2003 07:02 AM

Here are two things to consider. The Residence Monge is better located in the heart of the Latin Quearter and closer to the Seine, and it is also air-conditioned. However, I have not stayed at either hotel ( did stay at the Esperance's son's hotel -Regent's Hotel, which I liked).I was considering the Residence Monge for this summer, (but found a better deal).

oz May 12th, 2003 08:41 AM

thanks again for advice, now have new one the hotel d'enghien has sent back a confirmation so does anyone have an idea now of which of the 3 would be best?

Christina May 12th, 2003 08:52 AM

I haven't stayed in those, but concur with the above -- both Monge and Esperance get positive reviews from people on here, etc as well as in guidebooks. I do think most folks would find the Monge a more convenient location by a bit, so why not go with that? It does have AC, also, and you never know, that possibly could come in handy.

I had never heard ot the other hotel (Flemish?) but looked it up. It does have some nice comments as a hotel, but is in the 10th arr. near Bonne Nouvelle metro stop. That isn't a terrible area, but I would prefer the other two locations myself. It doesn't have AC, either, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to favor it.