Need a little more Help For Itay with Famous Uncle Art - Ira help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have almost finalized our plans for italy for the first 2 weeks of March. I think I am going to pass on Venice because it seems like it is difficult with an 80 year old man. IS that correct? we were going to do 5 days in Rome The Modigliani and 7 days in Florence Casci. The problem I have is that I can get a direct flight into Rome but going home from Florence is a real pain in the neck. any suggestions?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35103775
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
It depends how mobile the 80 year old is. Actually, it depends how mobile anybody is.

In general there would be a fair amount of canal-crossing. It's not difficult. Three or four steps up and then back down.

Most of venice is flat so other than those canals, it's a pretty easy walk.

The vaperreto makes longer moves around Venice pretty easy. Getting on or off them is also very easy and flat.

Now, if the flights are a pain, that's a different issue.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Myer,
From what I have read it seems like getting to the hotel can be difficult in Venice. My Dad has been pretty sick but is fairly mobile (except for steps), he can also be somewhat forgetful. I didnt want him carrying luggage all over Venice.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:41 AM

My FIL is 82 and somewhat walking impaired and my MIL is 76. We have been with them in Rome, Florence and Venice (as well as to other places). Here our experiences:

- Rome was most difficult, Venice least difficult for the elderly.

- Rome is built on seven hills and requires a lot of walking and stairs climbing. Location of hotel does not matter: you may be close to one attraction but far away from others. Public transport is very poor and driving a rental car through the inner city of Rome is not quite recommendable. Most of the attractions (Forum Roman, Colloseum, Vatican, catacombs) are so vast that much walking is needed within those places. Due to rugged terrain, wheelchairs and walking frames do not work. Thus, my recommendation is to take taxis freely.

- Florence is much more compact and it is flat. Hotel Casci has an excellent location with short walks to the attractions. No problem for Uncle Art.

- Venice is also doable for elderly people if you are ready to skip one or two attractions which are somewhat remote (like the Ghetto). Everything is excellently connected by vaporetti, the boats which serve as public transport. The boat rides are very scenic and enjoyable. The boats are easy to board - no problem for walking impaired people. All you have to do is to find a hotel which is close to a vaporetto stop.

- No problem to fly out of Rome. The train ride from Firenze to Fiumicino Airport takes 2:28 with just one change in Roma Termini (with plenty of changing time).
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:44 AM

Re: carrying bags to hotel in Venice.

If you choose a hotel on the waterfront you simply take a watertaxi to the hotel. Tip the staff and they will help you with baggage.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

traveller1959,
I am glad I am not the only person on line early in the moring. Thanks for your great notes. Would you take the train the day of your international flight or the day before? Where would you suggest staying in Venice? From the train station or airport, how do you get to your hotel? Where else would you suggest going in ITaly? How many days in each place?
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 03:58 AM

yeadonite, please give your Uncle Art my regards and tell him that he is missed on these boards.
Wishing you both a wonderful time in Italy ..
ciao~Scarlett
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:03 AM

yeadonite,

I am not so early. It is 2 p.m. where I live (Germany).

Trains are pretty reliable, but it is always a good idea to be some two hours earlier at the airport. So, it depends on departure time whether it is better to stay overnight at the airport. BTW, Fiumicino is a nice little town with good seafood restaurants along the harbour. Give me some time to answer the other questions.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are disabled friendly hotels in Venice (well in most cities) www.accessibleitaly.com is a real help
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:51 AM
ira

Hi Y,

Can Uncle Art walk up 12 steps and down 12 steps?

If so, I think that he will be able to cross any bridge except the Rialto.

Getting on/off a Vaporetto requires a bit of timing, but not much.

Otherwise, Venice is no worse than any other city.

Have you checked flights for into FLR or PSA and out of Rome?

>Would you take the train the day of your international flight or the day before?

Definitely the day before.

Where would you suggest staying in Venice?

Look up Pensione Accademia

>From the train station or airport, how do you get to your hotel?

The San Lucia train station is on the Grand Canal. The vaporetto stops right in front.

For the airport, the Alilaguna ferry or a bus from Piazzale Roma. A private water taxi will be about 80E for the two of you.

I suggest 5 days in Venice and 7 in Florence.

Would Unk be amenable to 3 days driving around Tuscany?

You could rent a car from Venice, drive to a Tuscany base, travel about and drop the car in Florence or Siena.

Or pick up the car in Florence or Siena and drop off in Venice.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you tried looking for a return flight from Pisa (PSA)? I think there are direct flights to JFK and Pisa is a short train (or bus) ride from Florence.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:04 AM

Delta has direct flights between JFK and Pisa a few times a week. Some trains from Florence go directly to the Pisa airport.Or perhaps this is the moment to spring for a private driver.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

You guys are great. Neither Art or I want to drive while in Italy. I was in venice once when I was very young. I dont know if Art was ever there. Ira you do not mention Rome is there a reason? Ira and kybourbon I do like the Pisa suggestion. I am trying to finalize this week. The place my Dad is really looking forward to is Florence which he remembers from WWII.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM

It's only in Italian, but there is an accessibility map of Venice here:
http://www.comune.venezia.it/flex/cm.../IDPagina/1317

Note that the green areas are wheelchair-accessible, i.e., flat or equipped with ramps.

There are wheelchair-accessible itineraries here:
http://www.comune.venezia.it/flex/cm.../IDPagina/1381
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 05:29 AM
ira

Hi Y,

>Ira you do not mention Rome is there a reason?

The Seven Hills of Rome.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:38 AM

yeadonite

I echo Scarlett's words. Uncle Art's trip reports here were full of great information and much appreciated.

Please let him know that we will be looking forward to another of his reports after the trip in March.

Regards,

joe
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM

The steps on the bridges in Venice are relatively low and wide. And the vaporettos along the Zattere (Dorsoduro side of the Giudecca) had steps. But on the Grand Canal the vaporettos had almost flat ramps, easy to roll suitcases on, so easy to walk also.

By the way, you could fly into Venice and out of Rome -- or Pisa.

I would not take a train in Italy the day of a flight. I've experienced too many strikes, delays, etc. on Italian trains.

Even using taxis freely, some sights in Rome are only accessible by stairs. But there's still much to see.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM

GO UNCLE ART (you're a year older than me!)

GO PATRIOTS (once a New Englander,. always a New EngladerI Even from Red Sox Nation Headquarters in L.A)

Stu T.

Happy that you chose the Modigliani..wonderful little hotel.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:41 AM

yeadonite:

Hello - I can't help you with your question but join others in saying how much I loved reading Famous Uncle Art's trip reports. What fun they were.

Best wishes for a great trip to both of you.

Sandy
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Original Poster

tower - Stu T -
Sorry about the Patriots loss. I am a NYer but I really like Tom Brady. Hope I dont get in trouble for that.

Ira,
sometimes I miss the obvious! Even if we cant do much we mght stop in Rome and take traveller1959 advice of lots of cabs. I also emailed Pensionne Accademic and will let you know their reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -