Need a hotel in Barcelona

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 02:01 PM
Sonya

Need a hotel in Barcelona

I am going on my honeymoon in September and we are looking for a hotel in Barcelona for three nights. Based on what I have read, I think that something near Las Ramblas would be best. Also, we would like to spend about $100 a night. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks. <BR>- Sonya and Kit

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 06:19 PM
Polly

Barcelona Hilton is the way to go!!! Ask there international desk for their BEST rate - it's usually a little better than the one on their website. It's in a great location - doesn't have shuttle service though. That's kinda weird for a Hilton - but our "best" rate came to about $107 per room per night - King or two twins! Obviously you're gonna want the king!! <BR> <BR>Good luck!

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 04:34 PM
A

I would also recommend the Gran Via. It is within easy walking distance to Las Ramblas, but not in such a noisy, crowded area. The hotel is very nice and roomie. Can't be beat for $75 (price in April.) Have some tapas for me!

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 01:57 PM
michele

I second the Gran Via. The location is great, close to the Ramblas and Bario without the noise , and the price is right.It also has charm ( former home of an archbishop or a duke?)Ask for a room facing the courtyard. <BR> <BR>I haven't stayed there, but Meson Castilla, same proce range, gets favorable reviews, also. <BR> <BR>There's a lot posted on Barcelona so a search will help you find a place. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip, <BR>Michele

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 04:37 AM
Henry

Sonya, Check the Royal Hotel 3* right on the Ramblas.e thought it was very nice.Enjoy.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 04:50 AM
crystal

Here's a vote against the Ramblas -- Gran Via or elsewhere is better. The Ramblas, even further north away from the water, is crooks' highway -- greatest concentration of street predators. You're physically safe enough, for the most part, but you'd be called upon to remain hyper-watchful everytime you came and went from your hotel.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 05:53 AM
Karen

Just spent 6 days in Barcelona. Loved every minute. Conquered the metro (subway), tourist bus routes, and walked our legs off (by preference!) Our hotel was up north near the newer part of the university, on a quiet little side street. Very nice, but not very close to metro stops, although the regular bus line wasn't far at all. <BR> I would second the vote against a hotel on La Rambla. Someone at the same conference my husband attended was down there, and said that he heard sirens all night, and that it was very noisy. Try for some place convenient but not on a major drag, or ask for a room not facing a street. <BR> I don't want to ramble, so feel free to e-mail any questions. I still have all of the brochures for the tourist sites, etc., which I always keep. Also can tell you some good restaurants, depending on your honeymoon budget! <BR> Enjoy spain. Definitely my favorite European country now.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 10:01 AM
Art

I disagree with Polly. If your on your honeymoon, you'll only need 1 twin. <BR>

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Ross

Hi Sonya! <BR> <BR>I just recently stayed at the Hotel Gravina, which is part of the Best Western chain. I paid approximately $60 / $65 a night for a single, buffet breakfast included. The hotel was VERY clean, very well-situated &lt;&lt;between the Metro Catalunya and the Metro Universitat. The staff was unbelievably helpful and courteous. The hotel was perfect, especially in this price-range. The room that I had was not super-large, but it was recently renovated, with a marble bathroom, with plush towels, I kid you NOT!!! <BR>Barcelona is GREAT, though Las Ramblas is nothing special! Check out the hotel's own web-site as well as that of the Best Western chain. The rates probably vary. I got an even lower rate from Travel City or something like that. <BR>Any questions, just E-Mail me. <BR>Congratulations!!! <BR>Ross.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 07:16 PM
Sonya

Thank you to all the people that responded to my message. But back to the point... People are suggesting hotels that are not on Las Ramblas, is that only because of the noise? Is there lots of crime in Barcelona, or is it just like other big tourist cities? Also, I am still looking for hotel information, so is anyone else has any tips, i will be grateful. <BR>Thanks again, <BR>Sonya and Kit

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 06:07 AM
Ross

Sonya, <BR> <BR>I live in NYC, and have travelled all over Europe. Las Ramblas just isn't that impressive. Actually, I found it one of the low-points during my stay in Barcelona, which is a WONDERFUL city. Yes. las Ramblas is noisy, dirty, and a pick-pocket's paradise. I believe that people are steering you elsewhere for good reason. Heed their advice,and you'll have a nicer stay. You can always go to Las ramblas to have a look around. <BR>Ross.

Old Jul 25th, 2000, 07:57 AM
michele

Hurray for Ross. The charm of the Ramblas escaped me also. For every pretty flower stall there were two mimes and one bad musician. The main reason I am sure that people are directing you away from the Ramblas is that it is very noisy, crowded, and there are pickpockets. You can stay in far more charming hotels that are in better parts of Barcelona for less money. And you can get a good night's sleep. <BR> <BR>Michele <BR>