Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need a B&B slightly southeast of Dublin (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-a-b-and-b-slightly-southeast-of-dublin-549999/)

Suki Aug 7th, 2005 05:55 PM

Need a B&B slightly southeast of Dublin

Hi, my husband is off on a big adventure starting Sept 1. He is biking alone though the southeast of Ireland. I believe he is taking his bike with him, and will arrive in Dublin in the morning, do some sightseeing, and then start off toward the Wicklow Mountains. Any ideas for inexpensive places that you like along this general route? If I haven't been specific enough, please let me know.

doogo Aug 8th, 2005 12:45 AM

Suki,
a good place for him to start might be Enniskerry - at the foothills of the Wicklow mountains.
There are lots of B&B's in the village (which is about 20km outside the city centre) - one which is supposed to be good is www.oaklawnhouse.com.
If he is touring around Dublin for the day, then i'd recommend that he stop into the Dublin Tourist centre on St. Andrew's St. (just behind Trinity College) - park the bike there, get recommendations as to what to go visit.
When he is done with the city centre, i'd suggest that he take the bike on the Dublin tram line (called the Luas) from St. Stephen's Green out to the southern terminus of Sandyford (it's a nice journey through Dublin's inner suburbs) and then cycle the 10km to Enniskerry from there.
hope this helps

Suki Aug 8th, 2005 05:43 AM

doogo, thank you that does help. Is the city centre too crowded for biking, or could he bike to Enniskerry rather than taking the tram line? I just want to let him know all his options.

This trip is a celebration in honor of his 50th birthday. We're a little nervous about him being alone, but he is in very good shape - he just biked 100 miles on Saturday. I know he just has to stop in a pub and he will make new friends!

Suki Aug 8th, 2005 07:52 AM

TTT for more possible responses -couldn't believe my post had already dropped to #70!

JOHNOD Aug 8th, 2005 11:43 AM

There is a lovely seaside village south of Dublin called Greystones. Easy access to the N-11 and the R-761 and an easy drive to Wicklow Town.

doogo Aug 9th, 2005 01:27 AM

Suki,
he can easily cycle through the city out to the Wicklow mountains - either via the coast (and that way he would be able to visit Greystones as recommended by JOHNOD) or inland through the south suburbs - the directions are very straightforward.
My only issue would be that there aren't a whole lot of cycle paths in the city and traffic does tend to be quite heavy so unless he is prepared for the battle, it might not be the best introduction to cycling on Irish roads - it's not dangerous (i cycle on the dublin roads regularly and, touch wood, haven't been sqashed yet) just a constant battle between the motorist and the cyclist!

Suki Aug 9th, 2005 08:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will pass the info along to my husband. He is resisting the seacoast route since he is heading southwest toward Kilkenny., and then Waterford and onto Wexford. In fact, if you know of any place to stop between south of Dublin and Kilkenny, please let me know.

SiobhanP Aug 10th, 2005 06:14 AM

I am pretty sure you are not allowed to take bikes on the Luas..defeats the purpose to get more people on and then a bike is in the way at rush hour :-).

There are hundreds of B&B's along this route and I would book a few along the way in Advance. Most will take in the bike and store for you. Even small hotels did this for us when in Galway and we brought bikes.

Maybe a more specific route will help others reccommend places.