Need 2-week North & South Ireland itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting Ireland for the first time in Sept. My ancestors are from Northern Ireland; my husband's from the Republic of Ireland. Would any of you experienced Irish travelers suggest an itineray that enables this "mixed marriage" to see some of the best of both in 14 days and not collapse from over-doing it? We plan to fly to Dublin and self drive. Thanks!

Old May 17th, 2003, 05:35 AM

Do you know where your families originated? Which towns or counties?
Old May 17th, 2003, 09:40 AM
sss

No doubt there will be many replies to this query when more information is provided. But to get a free itinerery you can go to irelandexpert.com. irelandyes.com is having a sale of $25 off on custom itinereraries. If you need more help you can get a free one or pay for one. I wonder which choice is better? Guess it depends on what you get for free? Anyone have any comments on that?
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:56 AM

SSS,
I can't imagine that I'd ever buy an itinerary! Doing the research and planning is half the fun. And, really, who knows what I want to see better than me?
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:39 PM

Someone here (I wish I could remember who) had a great suggestion once. Look at the brochures and websites for tour companies in Ireland and check out their 2 week itineraries. Then get a good guide book for Ireland - Eyewitness Guides are good for a first time look - and see what's in those areas. Tinker with them as needed but don't book the tour. Get a car and follow the same path. People here could give advise for being in the same areas but avoiding those tour buses when they disgorge at their chosen hotels.
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies. The idea to check out commercial itineraries is an excellent one. My concern is that the "bus tour" itineraries pack too many sites together, and we do want to avoid the hordes of tourists where possible. That's where you veterans come in. We will fly to Dublin. Where to stay first night? We really are more interested in Belfast for our "city" time than Dublin because of cost and crowds. We will go up the Antrim Coast. Belfast one or two nights? Giant's Causeway. Derry next night? We have County Tyrone heritage. Must sees there?? B & B suggestions?? Unforgettable pubs?
Our Republic of Ireland heritage is very sketchy so mainly, I guess, we want to see highlights there and not spend so much time behind the wheel on the "wrong" side of the road that we don't know where we've been. Many, may thanks for your thoughts.
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:43 AM

We're taking a similar trip to Northern Ireland and the Republic in September as well. Our itinerary (for now) is as follows.

Day 1 - arrive Dublin, pick up car; drive to Bettystown to Neptune Inn (recommended by our local Irish priest), which is outside Drougheda (where my grandmother was from before immigrating)

Day 2 to 5 - Lurgan/County Armagh; stay with relatives. Day trip to Antrim Coast (absolutely beautiful) to Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Reed (sp?) bridge.

Day 6 - South to Wicklow or Arklow via stop at Powerscourt and maybe Glendalough; not sure of accommodations yet.

Day 7 - Drive to Dunnmore East (excellent B&B that we missed on our last trip) and tour Waterford.

Day 8 and 9 - @ days in Kinsale (still researching B&B's and Inns)

Day 10 - Drive to Dingle; Millford Inn B&B

Day 11 - Drive to Killaloe (about an hour from Shannon airport) on Loche Durg - stayed there a few years ago; wonderful inn with a pool and incredible gourmet dinner.

Day 12 - home

We've been before to Galway and the Cliff, Bunraty, the Ring of Kerry, and Blarney Stone, so there are some of the new places for us.

Have a blast.
Old May 18th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Linda T. Thanks for your ideas. Do you think your relatives want some additional company in Sept.? (smile!). I will check out the places you are going & maybe our paths will cross??!
It's a bit of work planning this trip, but how exciting! And so helpful to read what everyone is writing about their experiences. Thanks Fodors for this opportunity!
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:24 AM

For discounts for Guesthouses try: http://www.irelandhotels.com
- eyps
Old May 19th, 2003, 08:29 AM

You could just drive up to Belfast that first day. It's about 2.5 hours if there's nothing going on. You don't have to drive through Dublin or anything from the airport to go north, which is a definite plus.

If you head up the day you arrive, I'd stay 2 nights in Belfast. Then spend a day driving up the Antrim Coast. Spend that night somewhere like the Bushmill's Inn.

I could definitely spend a day wandering around Derry (the city, right?), so yes, Derry for a night.

Then I'd head to Donegal and the Inishowen Penisula/Malin Head. I'd spend a few nights at least in Donegal. It's just about one of the most beautiful places on the planet.

From there you can go down to Tyrone and do whatever it is one does in Tyrone. I haven't spent much time in Tyrone, so I'll others hit that.

Then you head down to the Republic. I'd hug the coast and do Connemara, Galway, Cliffs of Moher, and such. I wouldn't go any further south on that side of the island. Then head east toward Dublin. If you have time, I would stop in Kilkenny for a night, but utlimately end up in the Wicklow Mountains area for the remainder of your stay. Glendalough, the mountains, Powerscourt Gardens, Avoca.

Have not idea how many days I've taken up. I'm not quite as detailed as some of the other posters, but hopefully I've given at least a general guide.