Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Need 2 rooms fast!***paris hotels in 5-6th (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/need-2-rooms-fast-paris-hotels-in-5-6th-79056/)

dan Jul 11th, 2000 09:10 AM

Need 2 rooms fast!***paris hotels in 5-6th

Does anyone have any last minute suggestions on a "charming, little" hotel in the 5th or 6th for this August? Trying to find 2 rooms at this late date has proven impossible in our $ range ($90-120). WE also want air-conditioning. <BR>We have reservation at Holiday INN St Germain but would like to change to something closer. <BR>Any advise/comments?

Carol Jul 11th, 2000 12:02 PM

Hi Dan, <BR>Try this site, <BR>http://www.paris.org/Hotels/ <BR>it's good because they have hundreds of hotels and you can also read what others say about the hotels. Good luck :)

elaine Jul 11th, 2000 01:16 PM

Your price range WITH airconditioning is pretty difficult. I don't have current prices on the following which do have air conditioning, prices may just squeak by or come close <BR>Hotel le Regent, phone 1 46 34 59 80, fax 1 40 51 05 07, email <BR>[email protected] <BR>Hotel des Jardin Luxembourg, <BR>phone 1 40 46 08 88, fax 1 40 46 02 28 <BR>Hotel Dauphine St Germain <BR>email [email protected] <BR>fax 1 43 26 49 09 <BR> <BR>All of the above have been praised on this forum and in "Cheap Sleeps in Paris" among other places. <BR>Also check them out at paris.org as advised, or at www.hotelboulevard.com

terri Jul 12th, 2000 04:07 AM

We booked our hotel through the French Hotel Reservaion Center - it worked very well. We stayed at the Belloy and found it nice- no airconditioning but we did not need it (Beginning of July and we wore our sweaters). As for "charming"- beware- I loved having a toilet that flushed, a shower that worked, beds that were comfortable and people who spoke English at the desk! We were in France for 3 weeks and had been in many "charming" hotels- I never thought I would say this, but I like modern conveniences!

don Jul 12th, 2000 05:51 AM

Hotel Residence Monge in the 5th has air-conditioning and would be in your price range. If you are willing to go to the 14th arrondissement, there is Hotel du Midi, and in the 7th Hotel Turenne. Good luck!

Margo Classe Jul 12th, 2000 08:52 AM

6th District <BR>CLEMENT: 6, rue Clément. Tel: 0143265360. Fax: 0144070683. E-mail: [email protected] (31 rms., 28 w/toilet & bath or shower.) 575F/88EUR (double bed/shower/faces back)-625F/95EUR (bath)-695F/106EUR (twin beds/bath/faces street); 810F/123EUR triple. Visa, MC, DC, AX. Air-conditioned. Buffet breakfast (7-11am) at 65F pp can be served in the room. English spoken, cable TV w/CNN, charming hotel w/nicely furnished carpeted pretty rms., the higher the flr. the better the view of the Saint Sulpice church, #641 (large w/double bed), 643 (large w/2 twin beds) & 642 (double bed) are all attic rms. w/bathtubs & small views of rooftops; #320 & 104 are 2 rm. jr. suites w/double bed, 1 twin bed, shower & faces street for a triple; the rms. with no showers/toilets are for singles, soundproofed, hair driers, bar, elevator, 5 flrs. Owned/managed by Simone & Gaston Charrade. Métro: St. Germain des Prés. <BR>

Carol Jul 12th, 2000 09:50 AM

We stayed in the Hotel Residence Monge and liked it a lot, but that was a good few years ago. The rooms were big and very clean and modern, as were the bathrooms. We had a room facing the front of the hotel and our teenage children had one facing the back. The back room overlooked a lovely park. We have recommended this hotel to friends and they were also very happy there. Not far from an underground station either. <BR>

goawaymargo Jul 12th, 2000 10:06 AM

She's back again I see - this women never gives up. Can't take a hint I guess. Time to contact Fodor's again that Margo is alive and well.

marty Jul 12th, 2000 11:00 AM

Dan: Fair warning on Margo's recommendation for Clement. I had reservations there in November. I cancelled two rooms that I read was on a bad side of the hotel and booked two others. I had all the paperwork for these transactions, including the confirmation and cancellation numbers for the first two rooms I booked, and the confirmation numbers for the ones I later booked. I had all of the emails between the Clement and me. Everything was dated from their end of the correspondences. When we got there, no reservations. They had cancelled the first two, but whoever was working the desk did not bother to write down our new reservations in their log. They could give us rooms for one night, but no more. Now I understand mistakes, (I make a plenty myself), but the treatment that we got was very bad. I had to argue with them for 30 minutes to get the one night that they finally let us have, even with their dated paperwork in my hands, he would not concede that they had made the mistake. Finally, they agreed to let us stay one night, but the ywould call to find a place for the other nights. They gave us two names and addresses, and that was it. They would not discount our one night for our trouble, and we had to walk to the new hotel. Thank goodness, the new one was by luck the Regent's Hotel on Rue Madame which turned out to be a better place with much nicer people and less expensive!

Sabrina Jul 12th, 2000 11:22 AM

Also try the Hotel St. Christophe in the 5th. I stayed there last September for $95/nite with breakfast included. It should be listed on several of the websites mentioned above.

Christina Jul 12th, 2000 11:31 AM

I thought the Clement was not fully air-conditioned but am not sure; there are some hotels in Paris that are only partly AC, you have to watch out for that and be sure to ask if that's important to you. Here are a few more hotels I know of in the 5th/6th arr. that might be in your price range with AC (but there aren't very many because that's just too low a rate to expect AC in the expensive tourist areas of Paris, like the 6th, and any such bargains would likely be booked as you've found): Hotel Bonaparte, Hotel Agora, Hotel Abbatial, Grand Hotel St-Michel. I know a few others but they aren't in the 5th/6th. BTW, I don't care for the location of the Holiday Inn St-Germain but that's because of the ambience, not the distance--it's not far at all from the Seine, only a couple metro stops, so I wouldn't worry about that particular reason; furthermore, it is extremely close to the St-Placide metro stop which is on one of the most convenient lines in Paris--it goes directly to the St-Germain, Odeon metro stops in only a few minutes. For example, the Best Western Villa des Artistes has AC and I think is preferable to your Holiday Inn in charm and definitely preferable in location and it might be close to your price range; however, although it's address is in the 6th, it is slightly further away from the Seine than your Holiday Inn, so I didn't recommend it--it is easy to book/check through BW's 800 number.