Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Nearly time to go, here's the plan & thanks as always. Its long....

Apr 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

We leave Monday 25th (Easter Monday & Anzac Day here in Australia) but actually 'have' to go to the wonderful Airlie Beach for a few days for a wedding, the few days before we fly out. So its getting pretty full on. For a recap, we are off to the UK to visit our daughter who moved there a year ago. We are fairly seasoned travelers in our 'late' 40's.

Flying Singapore Airlines this time (usually fly Emirates) but we managed b/class return with points, so Singapore it is ;-). We will have two nights in London, car service booked www.london-transfers.com & hotel won on www.priceline.co.uk Marble Arch Marriot for £62. This two days is just to catch up with DD, go to a Fulham football game (dh is very excited) then get out of London before 'that' wedding.

We will pick up a hire car and head to the Cotswolds for two nights www.stonecroft-chippingcampden.co.uk. We have previously spent 4 weeks driving around the UK but really only skimmed this area. We'll visit Oxford and probably Blenheim Palace on the way and spend the next full day just 'meandering' around the villages of the Cotswolds. We will pick up DD & her boyfriend from the train in Cheltenham on the Saturday (dd wants to be in London for the Wedding )and spend the day driving to Dartmoor National Park. We will stay for two nights at www.dartmeet.btinternet.co.uk & just explore again we have been there before but due to a small 'misshap' had to be towed out and missed a lot. DD's boyfriend is going to have a game of golf.

On the Monday (bank holiday) we will drove over to Tintagel Castle, we loved it and want to show our daughter. Then drop them to probably Exeter to catch a train back to London and we will have 3 more days to make our way back to London. I'd like to go to Port Isaac & Fowey, but no firm plans.

Then we have four more days in London, this time at an apartment .www.chevalresidences.com/CalicoHouse.asp (we've booked it for a week later on and the owners allowed us this short term rental due to that booking). Again not a lot of plans, this is our 5th trip to London so I really just want to walk and go to some places I've previously missed, Churchills War Rooms for one and definately going to do an Evensong at either St Pauls or Westminster Abbey & of course more dd time, she is working fulltime so lunch times and evenings are set aside for that. We have booked tickets to Flight Path with a friend we made in Dubai a few years ago and who has been lovely to dd since she moved to London.

Then we fly to Ireland for two weeks of exploring, I have a rough 'mud map' of our general direction but no firm plans. Dd & her bf will join us for a weekend to explore Dingle and the Cliffs of Moher.

Back to London for a week in the same apartment, this is going to be fun as my sister turned 50 recently and has booked herself a 'little trip'. She will be in London this week also before flying to Tuscany for a culinary tour, she's a chef. And DD's boyfriends parents will also be in London (timing.... ) so there will be lots of nice dinners with everyone.

Then we are taking the Eurostar to Brussels, (priceline.co.uk win Rennaisance £65) staying two night before picking up a hire car and head to Bruges for two nights,(www.gallery-yasmine.be) then Amsterdam for two nights (nothing booked yet) before the train back to London. Here we will have two nights (priceline.co.uk win Hilton Regents Park £75) to say goodbye to DD and head home.

So thats it, thanks so much to all of you for again helping me plan a wonderful trip.
Deidre
Apr 13th, 2011, 08:42 PM

Deidre: Sounds like such a marvelous trip! We'll be watching and waiting for reports.
meanwhile, Bon Voyage!
Apr 14th, 2011, 03:58 AM

I too wish you a great holiday. I'm going to miss the Royal Wedding as we are about to leave for Florida, but I've got my Union Jack bunting packed in my suitcase ready for the big day.
You'll love the War Rooms. We were so immersed in the period that when we emerged into 21st century London it was almost a shock. The audio tour is very good.
Apr 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Just our of curiosity, why the hire car? why not take the train from Brussels to Bruges? You certainly do not need the car in Bruges. You can then take the train on to Amsterdam from Bruges.
Apr 14th, 2011, 01:46 PM

Aussiedreamer, sounds great - I like that Marble Arch Marriot for £62! I would love to go to Dartmoor, scene of "Hound of the Baskervilles" and so many other literary tales...
Apr 14th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, odie1, 'cause we love to drive, stopping off at small places we like the look of etc. Gives us a better sense of where we are.
Apr 14th, 2011, 04:14 PM

got it. In that case...enjoy your trip!

BTW, I don't know what your budget is, but a few years back we stayed at and have since recommended to a few friends, all of whom loved, the Moy House in Lahinch (near Cliffs of Moher). Absolutely spectacular!
Apr 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM

Hi Aussie,
Best wishes for your trip and have a wonderful time with your DD. Our DD is working in Whistler, Canada but we were lucky enough to visit her last October, hadn't seen her for two years and that's far too long!

We are also on countdown for the UK, leaving 5 weeks today. Who knows, we may even cross paths.

I will be looking forward to your trip report too. Stay safe, happy travels.

Cheers from Maudie (in Perth)
Apr 14th, 2011, 04:57 PM

PS - is Flight Path a play? Sounds interesting.
Apr 14th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Original Poster

OOOOOPs Flare Path with Sienna Miller, yes it is a play. Sorry for the typo.

Thanks odie1 I will have a look at Moy House.

Thanks Maudie, I bet you are 'over' the heat over there? I'll look out for you.................lol. ;-)