Notices

Nearby places from Rome

Sep 23rd, 2015, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Nearby places from Rome

I am in Rome in November. I want to visit a nearby place on a Sunday morning and be back by Monday morning. I love the sea and quaint villages. I am open to travelling for 1 or 2 hrs by train or bus. Any recommendations?
Sep 23rd, 2015, 09:55 PM

Chieti is approx 2 hrs via bus due east of Rome on the Adriatic coast.
Sep 24th, 2015, 01:27 AM

I am mystified by the suggestion of Chieti.

If you are committed to doing this on a particular Sunday in November, you have no guarantee of getting pleasant seaside weather, and a fairly high risk of getting serious rain. Some place that might work for you, however, is the hill town of Tarquinia, with its distant view of the sea and its beautiful town center and fascinating Etruscan treasures.

In November, you have no need of booking in advance for just about anywhere, so might wait until you can see what the weather is before making a choice. Sorrento is possible for sunny weather or even an Amalfi coast town is possible for an overnight. So is Capri (just make sure it is not windy even if sunny or the ferry ride out there can be rough). Also check out visiting Sperlonga. In November, all these places will by very, very quiet.

Orvieto is not by the sea, but it is nice place to visit for an overnight no matter the weather. If you like antiques markets, it is possible that Arezzo will be having one that Sunday morning, and it is a lovely place to spend a night. Cortona gets fewer tourists in November, which might make it closer to the place it was when "Under the Tuscan Sun" was written there. Chiusi is pretty little Tuscan town most tourists overlook and it is easy to get to from Rome.

Remember that it gets dark early in November, so best not to go too far.
Sep 24th, 2015, 01:30 AM

Meant to add that if by being back on "Monday morning" you mean by 9 or 10 am, then you need to look very carefully at bus or train schedules. It is possible you may not be able to go very far at all. It is not much fun to get up before dawn in November and go catch a train or bus.

Search this Thread