Naxos Hotel - Downtown

Search

Naxos Hotel - Downtown

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naxos Hotel - Downtown

Hi - I think we would prefer to stay "in town" as opposed to the beach. Any thoughts? Which area is the most convenient? Best location?
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:01 PM

look for a post from stanbr. he's very dialed in about staying close in.
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

thanks!
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 08:53 PM

We have been away in Crete for the past three weeks so I have just seen this post. Repete is on record as really enjoying staying at the beach area on the west coast of Naxos. He is absolutely correct, this is a great area to stay provided the beaches are an importnat focus for you. After visiting Naxos 6 times and staying at both the town area and the west coast beaches I am a firm believer about staying near Naxos town.

First of all there is a good beach right in Naxos town called St George beach. It is not as good as the west coast beaches but is good for a couple of hours of sunning daily and is very good for young children. The advantage of staying at St George Beach is it is just a few minutes walk to all the action of Naxos town. If you relally crave a great beach then the West coast beaches are a quick bus ride from town.
If you would like to hear mnore from me on this subject just click on my name and all of my previous posts will come up.
to see our pictures of Naxos look here.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed a few years ago at the Hotel Grotta which was lovely, good views and run by a lovely family. It was very clean but fairly basic and was about 15 mins walk into town, up on a headland overlooking the sea. There is a seaview from the dining room but I'm not sure if any rooms have this view, we had a terrace but it looked out the other way. Would recommend this hotel if you don't mind the walk into town.
Kay
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 10:46 PM

Staying "in town" could mean either in the old town below the kastro (castle) or in the St George area where there are many hotels and domatia.

I just left Naxos on Saturday, and stayed at Hotel Argo in St George. It is on a quiet street, a ten minute walk into the main part of town, and five minutes walk to the nearest bus stop for the wonderful Ag Prokopios, Ag Anna and Plaka beaches.

Hotel Argo is run by a very friendly Greek-Swedish couple who go out of their way to help. It is clean, and they have just opened a third building with rooms that have aircon, TV, and (bliss) the most powerful showers I have ever seen in Greece. Their main building has the reception area, more rooms, and a dining room for breakfast. Another building has apartments. I won't tell you how much I paid, but it was the best value for money on my 3½ week trip. Let me know if you want more details.