Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Naxos - Hill top Villages-places to stay?

Naxos - Hill top Villages-places to stay?

Mar 30th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Naxos - Hill top Villages-places to stay?

We are starting our trip with 4 nights on Santorini in Oia and ending with 2 nights in Athens. In between we have decided on Naxos then Mykonos. I am researching exhaustively and am having trouble making my final decisions about Naxos and Mykonos. We have 8 nights to play with and are debating on either 3 nights Mykonos with 5 nights Naxos, or 4 nights on each. Our vacation to the Greek Islands is to experience the culture, food and hospitality of the local people. In our hotel stays, we prefer to be on or near the water or at least have fabulous views. We also like to be able to walk to dinner at night so we don't have to drive after having cocktails or wine. We are looking at all of the places reviewed from Naxos Town and outlying beachs. We had contemplated staying on Alyko Beach, but after all of the blogs we read, decided that staying closer to Town would give us better access to seeing the rest of the island on day trips. If I had 5 nights on the island, I would contemplate staying 3 nights near town and spend 2 nights in another area of the island. I have not run across any blog or travel advice on staying in a hilltop town or any other area besides town and the south/south west beaches. Has anyone been to other areas on Naxos where you thought it might be nice to spend a couple of nights? We wanted to do some of the walking trails. Should we just concentrate on days trips for these? I am assuming that day trips to other parts of the island are reasonable because no one has mentioned driving the car, hanging out for dinner somewhere and staying overnight....Any advice out there on this would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Apr 1st, 2012, 08:11 AM

I think there might be a couple of rooms to let on Apiranthos and maybe Chalki and/or Filoti, but most people tend to stay on the south west coast of Naxos. Personally I would avoid splitting my stay due to the hassle of packing,unpacking etc, but it is a personal call. If you really need some secluded location, you can check the east coast. There are a couple of hotels and rooms to let on Moutsouna and I think one or two rooms to let on Lionas. Those locations are very isolated though and can not serve as a handy base to visit other areas of the island. Apollonas north west could be an other option to have decent tavern choices. I know that on Galanado and Glinado there are a couple of villas for rent too, those two villages are only 10 minutes drive from Naxos Town though, and villages feature only one proper tavern each-if any. Last but not least, Galini/Eggares villages have a couple of taverns and some beach side rooms to let, but I do not consider them handy for walking trails. I think maybe the most appropriate in terms of hiking is Apiranthos. Other nice areas would be Potamia villages, but I am not aware of any accommodation options there. All in all, personally I would stay put near Naxos Town and take day trips.
Apr 2nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Mariha. After all of the helpful information on this site, I think we have decided on Agia Anna as our base and to extend our stay to 5 nights instead of 4. Naxos looks like it could be the highlight of our time in Greece. I hope so! I appreciate everyone's comments. We are getting excited!

Search this Thread