Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Naxos and Paros beaches near capital cities

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to choose between Naxos and Paxos for a relaxing 6-night stay in August with kids. I read a detailed blog post from Santorini Matt with some good comparison points but one answer i i am still searching for is whether there are any good beaches in walking proximity to Paros's 2 main cities - Parikia and Naoussa. I am looking for a family accommodation that would be in close walking proximity to beach as well as old town/cafes. I found such place in Naxos town near St George beach but still trying to understand whether this set up is possible in Naoussa or Parikia. Thank you!
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 01:30 AM

The two main towns of Paros, Naoussa and Parikia, both have beaches, the better ones accessible by taxi boat. Parikia has a nice sandy beach, Livadia, which is a short walk from the ferry docks. There is also a taxi boat to take you to Krios and Martselo, two better ones. Naoussa, again, has beaches in the town itself, but taxi boats can take you to Kolymbithres, a beach with rock formations carved by wind and waves, Monastiri, and Lageri. By bus you have a choice of long, sandy beaches along the east coast, similar to those on Naxos. The closest is Santa Maria, the longest Chrissi Akti (Golden Beach), which has been used for world championship wind surfing meets.

Agios Georgios (St George) is a good place to stay and has a nice enough beach, but when I've stayed there I always hopped on a bus to Agios Prokopios or Plaka beaches. I'm afraid all the beaches near the main towns on each island will be jam-packed in August. I haven't mentioned my favourite island, Antiparos, for that reason, but there are island boat trips that take you to deserted beaches and uninhabited islands on day trips: Captain Ben Antiparos Lazy Day ? Daily cruises from Antiparos and Paros Greece ? Boat trip arround the island

The main town on each island is called chora or hora, transliteration from the Greek χώρα. There are no cities anywhere in the Cyclades.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

@Heimdall thank you for the details as always!! I am "struggling" (what an amazing struggle) with which island (Naxos or Paros) to choose for a relaxing 6-night Greek island experience filled with a variety of scenic beaches every day and atmospheric town walks in the afternoon. Antiparos is a big plus towards Paros..
-The Lazy Boat cruise- the stops look good but the boat itself seems too "touristy" and crowded??
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 07:06 AM

Good luck weekender, I wish you a wonderful island time. Please just realize that you have set up an impossible dream by requesting "a relaxing 6-night stay in August" when (unlike an Onassis) you cannot buy your own island....
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

good point @travelerjan i will adjust my expectations..a bit))
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 08:21 AM

Those of us, myself and travelerjan included, who love the Greek Islands prefer to travel in June or September when the islands still have a buzz but aren't horrendously crowded. I've been to the Greek Islands many times in August, especially around the end of the month when things are slowing down. Sometimes I've made two trips a year, once in June and again in late August - early September. The advantages of July and August are that the islands have more local festivals and other activities in the summer. Just at random I found a website that shows the festivals on Paros (Naxos will have similar festivals of its own):
The Festivals of Paros

Whether you choose Naxos or Paros doesn't matter to me. Personally I feel Naxos is getting too touristy, while Paros has a wider choice of beach towns where it will be quieter. Some say Naxos is larger and has more mountain villages, and that is true. If your main interest is hiking in the mountains and visiting small villages then go to Naxos.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Beaches' variety and beauty is the most important @Heimdall closely followed by atmospheric towns/villages. i wish i could go in September but i want to bring the kids so that is not an option
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 10:01 AM

Yes, that's why August is so busy (school holidays). Conventional wisdom is that Naxos has the best beaches in the Cyclades. Some of them south of Plaka Beach are less busy, and that's partly because there is limited bus service. If you rent a car you can go practically anywhere at times of your own choosing and find many beautiful beaches on Naxos in addition to the crowded St George, Agios Prokopios, Agia Anna and Plaka.

I always rely on bus service because I look upon my Greek holidays as a vacation from driving. Paros has an extensive bus service around the perimeter of the island, and Antiparos has about five (depending on what you count) beaches within easy walking distance from town. Some of the best beaches on Antiparos are reachable only by car or boat. Incidentally, if you think the Captain Ben trips are too crowded you can rent a private yacht, but it will be more expensive. Here are some other options for cruises from Paros: https://polostoursparos.com/daily-cruises/
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

@hemdail- from your perspective what about variety - Naxos beaches seem from photos more of the same sandy for miles which we already have here on Cape Cod national seashore Paros beaches look like there are interesting coves and rock formations. true?
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 12:41 PM

That’s my perception. I dislike the long sandy beaches that most people consider best, because I like to bring my snorkel & mask, and beaches such as Plaka are almost devoid of sea life. That said, since I rely upon buses I haven’t explored some of the more remote beaches on Naxos.

Paros certainly has its share of small coves, and Kolymbithres Beach has spectacular rock formations. The sandy coves with rocky fringes are best for snorkelling. You won’t find any coral, but there are lots of small fish and even octopus if you can find them.

If you want a quieter location consider Aliki on the south coast. It’s a small settlement with several tavernas and a good beach. An added advantage is: being at the south of the island it is more sheltered from the strong northerly winds (Meltemi) that sometimes blow in August. There are frequent buses to Parikia, some stopping at Pounta where you can catch the ferry to Antiparos.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 12:57 PM

Whatever you decide, you should get busy and make some room reservations. Since you are bringing children you may want an apartment. I’m not trying to influence you to come to Paros, but you can look for accommodations here and contact the hotels directly:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again @heimdall. i have been on it for a couple of days. making my mind about an island already would helpful
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 02:29 PM

We loved our stay in Naoussa, beaches, dining, enjoying the local ambience. Couldn’t wait to leave Santorini.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

@HappyTrvlr do you mind sharing where you stayed in Naoussa and how you liked the hotel? thanks